Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I cover my butt after rubbing?

Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
We are going to try out first low and slow with a couple of Boston butts (17 lbs. between the two) and have just finished trimming and applying the rub. I want to start the cook at about 9PM and was wondering; should I cover the butts while they're in the refrigerator awaiting time to cook?

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i normally wrap mine in plastic wrap then add more rub when i take them out 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Are you shooting for noon tomorrow?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I do the same.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Parallel
    Thanks. We're going to cover the two in the half cooking sheet with press and seal and follow your advice about reapplying rub when they go on the egg.

• Parallel
    edited October 2012
    Yeah... about noon tomorrow, although it's not a big deal to us if they're done a couple hours before or after.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Saturday night so I just couldn't resist the chance to compliment the post title-hopefully all will stay on theme-but if one should take turn down a dirt road...the title speaks to such an audible!  Enjoy the cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    If your rub has salt in it, that will draw moisture out of the meat.  According to Cook's Illustrated the salty water then migrates back into the meat, but osmosis does NOT work that way if I remember my high school biology correctly.  
    Regardless, I'd wrap the butts just to keep the moisture in, whether it migrates back in or stays on the surface.  Personally I always apply the rub just before putting the meat into the Egg.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    lousubcap said:

Saturday night so I just couldn't resist the chance to compliment the post title-hopefully all will stay on theme-but if one should take turn down a dirt road...the title speaks to such an audible!  Enjoy the cook!

Rub butt.dirt....really?

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Parallel
    LOL... it's been that kind of day with my thread titles. I'm getting a LARGE ration at a special operations forum for using "spatchcock".
    :))