Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in Boston Butt, brine and inject?

billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Has anyone ever brined and then used an injection on a pork butt? Please list the pros and cons. I'm thinking of doing this tomorrow, but not sure if it will be a waste of time.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I used to be a huge fan of brining pork butts. 24 hours and I would inject brine solution as well. Use a bit of tenderquick in the brine and you get a slight ham like taste. Delicious! Basic salt brine with some garlic a few habeneros and honey. Sometimes I would use half apple juice for a sweeter taste. Big flavors in a brine equals small change in taste. Also I think it needs a drying period for bark development because it doesn't set as hard due to the extra water. It's worth a short but definitely ads a neither step that is why I don't do it a lot anymore.
  • IMO a waste of time. Good bark and smoke are all that is needed on a butt. But, to each his own.
  • Mustard, rub, Egg.  That's what I do.

Flint, Michigan
  • I inject and give it a good rub. I have noticed a different in moisture with the injection.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    It will be a waste of time.  Rub it down with your favorite rub and smoke it with your favorite wood.  Anything else is uneccessary and doesn't add anything that makes a difference equal to the effort that you will make.
  • I have injected a couple with ACV and apple juice. The bark didn't seem as crisp and that's what I enjoy the most. Give it a try, it might just be what you've been looking for.
  • Brining is not a waste of time. It does several things that dramatically improves the meat.

First, it moistens the meat by osmosis.  The cells in the meat will draw in the brine (as the brine is saltier than the cells).  

Second, the salt, once it is in the cells, break down the proteins in the cells, which also increases the amount of moisture in the cells (and, as a side benefit, makes the meat more tender).

Third, if you added something else to the brine (I add molasses to my pulled pork brine), you are importing more flavor uniformly into the meat.

Frankly, brining is simple and easy.  Mix up the solution, put it and the meat in a 2 gallon zip lock bag, and store it in the cooler or fridge for a day or two before smoking. (I usually brine for 24 hours, rub it and let it sit for another 24 hours, and then smoke it).
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nothing lost in trying...if you don't eat it, I will. That's one of the great things...trying new stuff. I carwash mike'd some ribs this weekend. Before the foil I coated with honey and b sugar. Not my fav, probably won't do it again but I managed to hoark down a half rack.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Thanks for all the insight from everyone. I'll let you know what I finally end up doing and how it turns out.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Never brine.  Makes your butt taste like ham.  Keep it simple.  Rub and smoke.  Let the pork taste like pork.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I know the sodium nitrite will make it taste like ham.  Alton Brown, for example, brines in his recipe for pulled pork.  No sodium nitrite. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe/index.html

From now on, when a person insists on doing something 'their' way both or all parties HAVE to send me samples.  This is the ONLY way to resolve this.  Thank you.

- Approved by BGE Board

Ultimate Resolution #00000001 (no appeals on odd-numbered resolutions)

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I haven't brined a butt however I injected my last two and I noticed a diff in moisture and how juicy it was. I may not inject 100% of the time going forward but I will majority
    Boom