Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalapeno Poppers - Suggestions - Some hot stuff!

Options
Billybob_KY
Billybob_KY Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in Vegetarian

I love peppers and typically love hot peppers, sauces and etc.  My wife bought me the BGE Jalapeño Poppers stand, which is great. 

So I had a great plan.  I picked up some Jalapeno's from Kroger, cored them with the tool, stuffed them with cream cheese, bacon and cheddar cheese.  I roasted them on 350 on the BGE for about 25 minutes.

These Jalapeños were HOT – spicy.  Is this typical for raw jalapeños vs. jar/can jalapeños and are there any suggestions for something less hot – for my family and guests tastes?

Thanks

Bill

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sometimes you get hot ones. Get as much of the membrane (ribs) out as you can as well as the seeds.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sometimes you get hot ones. Get as much of the membrane (ribs) out as you can as well as the seeds.
    Just buy some more and do very good job as Steven discribed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    Options
    I grow a lot of peppers. Jalapeño, ghost varieties, habanero varieties, Serrano, cherry, bananas, etc. I've found that no two jalapeños off the same plant will be the same heat wise. Some may be mild while some can be hot. It could also be that your Kroger sold serranos as jalapeños. Sometimes they can look pretty similar. I've seen that at my local grocery store. Try to find a mild cherry pepper. My wife doesn't like heat but she likes them. You could also try a sweet banana pepper.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I cut the pepper in half, cream cheese/Colby filler, full shrimp mashed In cheese, wrap with bacon..direct around 350.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've found that generally the longer you cook them, the more of the heat you cook out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hashmaker said:
    I grow a lot of peppers. Jalapeño, ghost varieties, habanero varieties, Serrano, cherry, bananas, etc. I've found that no two jalapeños off the same plant will be the same heat wise. Some may be mild while some can be hot. It could also be that your Kroger sold serranos as jalapeños. Sometimes they can look pretty similar. I've seen that at my local grocery store. Try to find a mild cherry pepper. My wife doesn't like heat but she likes them. You could also try a sweet banana pepper.
    I'd love a pepper garden.  So you're growing ghost peppers (like naga jalokia)?  Those things are nuclear hot..what do ya do with em?
    Options
    Griffin said:

I've found that generally the longer yiou cook them, the more of the heat you cook out.

+1

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    Options
    Yes sir, they are HOT! I grow the yellow and red variety. Usually 3-4 plants of each. About 1/3 of one in a small batch of home made salsa is real good. I'll split one in half and take the seeds out and let the pieces sit on a steak while it's grilling. I messed up one time and put two halves in a pot of chili and let it simmer most of the day. Couldn't hardly eat it. I even made a ghost pepper relish once. (Keyword - once) Mainly I dry them. I dry 85% of the peppers I grow and make pepper flakes for me and to give to friends. They grow well in 5 gallon buckets so you don't need a lot of room. Check out pepperjoe.com. Big variety of seeds.
  • bettyball
    Options

Great post thankyou for sharing with us
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Jalapeno ABT's are great. Just make sure to get the seeds out. I prefer to make the cream cheese hotter than the pepper. I cook them at around 260-270* until the bacon renders out most of the fat and the pepper is tender.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Since this post started almost 10 years ago, I bet he figured it out.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    edited December 2020
    Options
    For less heat I tend to look for jalapenos with less veins on the skin. It isn't fool proof but generally works. Also said above, clear out the white membrane as good as possible. 

Edit: just saw the age. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    In my experience if you cook them over a short period of time they get hotter. After about an hour they start to mild out. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited December 2020
    Options
    ancient thread