Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy Gasket Replacement

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi, all. 

Is there an easy way to replace a gasket on the lid without removing it. Both of my eggs (mini and large) were assembled by the stores, and the bolts are mighty tight. I just see "danger" ahead, particularly because I have a basic set of mechanical tools. 

I replaced the bottom gasket on the mini (High-Que) and thought I could live with just that. But the seal doesn't pass the dollar test. (I scraped off the old gasket on the lid.)
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Sub'd bc interested as well
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I replaced my large in situ, top and bottom.  Warm it up first - the gasket scrapes off easier.  You'll probably need to loosen the hinge straps to re-align anyway so you'll need a socket set or wrench.  Maybe you'll get lucky and it will stay aligned with the new gasket.  I can't speak to the mini - should be no problem taking the lid off if you can't physically scrape it properly...it doesn't weigh much.  Don't forget to clean with acetone or alcohol the oil off so the new adhesive sticks.  Let it set overnight before using it.  Keep your first few cooks below 400.
    edited October 2012
    Options
    The very easy way: Just do not replace them. No big deal on  the dollar bill test. All of mine will still go out when I cap them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    For some reason, "in situ" in this instance just made me laugh, nolaegghead, though it is perfectly right. I think I'm going to have to take the lid off the mini because, with the new hinge, the back isn't really accessible. My mini gasket was fried, so I replaced it first. My large is OK so I'm going to wait. The large is the most important because I generally use it for low and slow cooks or indirects with whole birds. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options