Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Cook - ribs again

733102243 Posts: 38
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

After the initial 'smokeout' (see due diligence post of 10/7-8 - page 2), I felt pretty confident but in the meantime, I bought a Maverick. I decided not to spring for the Thermoworks as recommended by nolaegghead because I will be adding a CyberQ. Also, I need the remote feature. As far as the crappy leads go, I put some foil around the probe end and also between the cable and any area where direct heat might affect it.

Yesterday - as a treat for the better half returning from a week away - I cooked 3 racks of baby-backs. This time, I used what I considered the right amount of wood, 2 chunks in a center column and 2 sitting on top of the pile of lump and a few oak chips spread around through the rest.

Last time, I put rub on the ribs and let them sit in the refrigerator til ready to cook. After tasting them, I felt like they needed more rub. This time, same drill except when I removed the ribs to come up to room temperature, I patted -on another light coat of rub and let them sit for 45 minutes.

Last time - using the dome temp, I cooked at 250-260 or so. This time, the dome temp was more like 240-250 with the grate 235-241. Water in drip pan. Temp rose and fell in the 235-241 range. About 3 hours in, I closed the lower vent a little as the temp seemed to be climbing faster. The remote feature of the Maverick is really handy as the Egg is quite a distance ( down a hill) from the house.

After 4 hours, placed ribs in foil with either a sauce OR an NC vinegar 'dip' that I mix. Another 45 minutes (temp stabilized at 255 after I opened the dome). Placed in cooler with towels and let them rest a couple of hours.

This batch is 'melt-in-your-mouth' tender, meat pulls off the bone leaving little behind - will take some pics tonight after I crisp them up on the Lynx.

I'm still amazed at how easy it is to control the temperature.

Comments