Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp W/ Lemongrass

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

I made this last month at our local Eggfest and went over good (except I used cheaper chicken). I wanted to post photos but I was cooking by myself and there was too much going on to get photos. Here is what it looked like.

Thank you Gary for informing us of a wok on the egg. Love it!image

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Looks like you've shot up to the top, Grasshopper.

Nice seasoning on your wok.
    Nice hot fire underneath
    Food not too full in the wok.
    Scrumptious plated meal.

I bet it tasted great !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bigguy136

Thanks!. A wise man once said to always apply a thin coat of olive oil on my wok to prevent rusting. Then when I put the wok on for my following cook, watch for a faint smoke and I know the wok is hot enough. Good advice.

On a side note, I always have something that is burning/ sticking to my wok (first photo with the shrimp). I have a little sugar in my mixture and I think that is what's sticking. Any thoughts?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    That looks great. Way to go.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bigguy136 said:

On a side note, I always have something that is burning/ sticking to my wok (first photo with the shrimp). I have a little sugar in my mixture and I think that is what's sticking. Any thoughts?

I'm not following.  When your wok is hot, add some peanut oil (or grapeseed) and swirl it around the sides.  When you are cooking your shrimp, keep it moving with your spatula.  You shouldn't have any sticking.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bigguy136
    I get a big 'goo ball' that builds up on the spatula and a little on the wok. I have to scrape it off the leading edge of the spatula as I'm cooking.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• hmmm.  Maybe you're not adding enough peanut oil to begin with.  You shouldn't have to add alot, maybe 2 tablespoons, but that should stop any "goo balls" when cooking your shrimp.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited October 2012

Nice cook.  If you have any cornstarch and sometimes sugar in your marinade of the shrimp or sauce the high heat will make it sometimes clump up even if  stirred constantly.  The stirring will gather cornstarch or sugar at the tip of the spatula and cause it to thicken and appear gooey.  You are basically stirring that which sticks to the wok and gathering it at the tip of the spatula.
    My guess from your first photo is cornstarch, but maybe sugar also.
    In the above picture the chicken was marinated in sherry, cornstarch and white pepper of about 30 minutes and a little goo appeared in the beginning.
    As the cook progresses think of it as de-glazing the wok.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks like I gotta get me a wok.
    I have both cornstarch and sugar in my marinade. Sounds like something I need to tweak. Thanks for the insight.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Tjcoley said:
    Looks like I gotta get me a wok.

+1

Looks like Grasshopper has snatched the pebble from Master Po's hand!

Flint, Michigan
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012

Looks like Grasshopper has snatched the pebble from Master Po's hand!

Then, it is time for him to leave the Shaolin Temple.  

Grasshopper, remember that a wise man walks with his head bowed.  Do not let this victory cause self-satisfaction.  Be humble, like the dust.

Master Po (aka VI)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674

When you have VI and Richard saying good things about your cook: I salute you.

Travis, not so much... :ar!

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bigguy136

When you have VI and Richard saying good things about your cook: I salute you.

Travis, not so much... :ar!

I just feel honored that you guys/ gals are willing to help me. I really appreciate all of your help!

Big Lake, Minnesota