Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holding steady

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Apple strudel at 400 degrees, pizza at 550.  It took 2 1/2 hours to cool down the Egg and the pork shoulder went on at 9:00 PM.  Now 3 1/2 hours into the cook and even with the dropping air temps, Egg is holding steady at 250 dome.  I know thats low and I can bump it up, but I figure Egg's been hot for about 8 hours now and dome and grate should be pretty equal (got to get one of those fancy temp probes that measure more than one thing)  Getting ready to call it a night and I'll raise the temp in the morning if need be.  Doesn't need to be done til 6 PM or so, so I have plenty of time to finish and will probably end up FTC..  Amazing how good the neighborhood smells.  Pics when finished.  

Comments

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    Gotta love the versatility of the Egg. Sounds like you had a good day.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    The Egg is in the zone. Even with a 30 drop in air temp, still holding steady at 250. One more Tito's then off to sleep.
    Options
    Well, I should have stayed up and had even another Tito's.  Some time between going to bed at 2:30 and waking up at 7:30, my fire went out.  First time it ever happened for me on an overnight cook, even with low temp (225 for 25 hours once).  Egg was cool and meat was 120 degrees.  Fired it back up and took it to 300 degrees to make up some time.  Had to crutch it from 180 til I pulled it at 200, so it was done in time for dinner.  Still turned out great.
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Tj looks great and btw after your high temp cooks did you add any more lump ? 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Yeah phil, I think that was my problem.  I had about 2/3 of a firebox left.  Should have just stirred, added wood chunks and let it go.  I dumped in some fresh lump, and may have smothered the small fire I had going  to keep the Egg at 250.  Although I did watch it for over 3 hours and it was holding temp well, so maybe not.  It turned out great in the end.  
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    thats all that counts and i tried your strudel today family loved it thanks for sharing .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Glad they liked it.  It was a big hit here as well.