Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza - Looks OK but not great

QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Here is my first pizza on the egg.  While it looks OK, the taste was just average.  I was hoping for pizza nirvana but didn't find it yet.  I followed the instructions for Jamie Oliver's pizza dough and used a homemade pizza sauce.  Used store brand mozzarella cheese.  I want to up my game for pizza so any suggestions would be appreciated.image

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Tell us more....what was your set-up, temp, etc? What was just average about it...crust, toppings, overall? The way it cooked? Looks good to me.
  • QDude
    Here is my first pizza on the egg.  While it looks OK, the taste was just average.  I was hoping for pizza nirvana but didn't find it yet.  I followed the instructions for Jamie Oliver's pizza dough and used a homemade pizza sauce.  Used store brand mozzarella cheese.  I want to up my game for pizza so any suggestions would be appreciated.image
    Tell us more....what was your set-up, temp, etc? What was just average about it...crust, toppings, overall? The way it cooked? Looks good to me.
    There just doesn't seem to be much flavor.  I cooked it on the egg at 425 degrees, raised direct.  The dough wasn't quite done though. By the time the dough would have been done, the toppings would have been burned I think.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• By raised direct do you mean you did it on the grid or the pizza stone?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    use a raised setup and get the temps up, i dont cook thin crusts below 550 and the thinner crusts even higher. 425 is good for deep dish with a double cook on the crust
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • He's saying that his crust wasn't done. Maybe he didn't heat the stone.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I'm guessing bits of all of Steven and fish's advice should help...preheat stone, higher temps, and not knowing how raised you are, I would say go higher in the dome.
  • bigmac1959
    bigmac1959 Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    New to the forum, got a large egg Memorial Day weekend 2012.  Love it.  I run my pizza at about 650 dome temp, PSWoo3 setup from the Ceramic Grill Store with the BGE plate setter and the grill extender (not available anymore) and the BGE large pizza stone set on that.  Seems to be about as high as I can get in the dome.  Works great.  Hard to keep the temp there for more than about three zaa's though.  Pic of my daughters pepperoni pie 5th one that night.

• QDude
    He's saying that his crust wasn't done. Maybe he didn't heat the stone.
    I heated the stone for about 45 minutes.  Maybe that wasn't long enough.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Maybe a little longer warm up, and I'd cook closer to 550-600.  Thick crusts you want to cook lower temps/longer.  Thin crusts hotter/shorter.  Try Tipo "00" pizza dough - makes a great authentic crust.  Well, more authentic.

• I think if you keep it simple you get the best results.  It took me a while to perfect my dough to cook in the Egg.  I still experiment with it from time to time.  The sauce is the other variable that can make or break the taste.  Use quality ingredients and don't be in a rush.  We live in a small town and our selection of take out pizza is not the best.  Little Ceasar's, Domino's, Pizza Hut and Papa John's are factory chains.  They are consistent but they really are bland.  I am trying a new dough recipe that calls for an 18 - 24 hour fermentation.  I have never tried this type before, however, it sure looks good after 14 hours.  I am hoping for a light and airy dough that will cook up crisp and have some body to it.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Made the pies with new recipe.  The dough was crispy with a good chewy texture.  I was quite surprised with the results.  I never tried a fermentation process.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!