Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Brisket without a plate setter...

Options
deenet
deenet Posts: 11
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello there fellow EGGheads. I would like to do my first BGE brisket this weekend for my wife's birthday. Here are my issues: 
1. I don't have a plate setter.
2. I would like do do a half-brisket.
3. I like this following recipe but my problem refers back to #2:

Does anybody have a good BGE recipe that does not involve the plate setter? Any info of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
EGGhead Deene

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

I think some method (platesetter, adj. rig, ect.) of indirect cooking would be required.

I am sure someone will have a creative way to create an indirect cook without the platesetter.

My suggestion would be tobuy some fire bricks at your local hardware store and lay them on the standard cooking great, and then create a raised second level somehow.  I have never tried it, but it sounds like it could work.

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    deenet said:

Does anybody have a good BGE recipe that does not involve the plate setter? Any info of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Deene, my most heartfelt recommendation would be to get the platesetter.  Being without one reduces the flexibility of the Egg substantially as there are so many recipes that call for indirect cooking.  

Rather than 1/2 a brisket, try cooking a smaller whole brisket.

A brisket for a birthday gift....  makes my heart go pitter patter....

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • deenet
    deenet Posts: 11
    Options
    XL BGE.  Dallas,

Yeah, I will buy a plate setter in the next few weeks. I was hoping to do the brisket this weekend but I will probably do something like fajitas. I live in North Richland Hills, how do you like this weather?

Deene
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I also recommend the plate setter. 

If you have an extra grate and some bricks, create a "shield" with some aluminum foil on your old grate, stack the bricks and put the second grate on them.  Cook the meat on the second grate.

Indirect cooking is baking.  The difference between grilling/broiling and roasting/baking is you don't have any direct infra red heat radiation hitting your food.  You cook "in the shadow".  You can create that shadow with foil, a cookie sheet, pizza pan, whatever.  You can even use a roasting pan with a rack in it and put it directly on your grate.
    Options
    Rather than a platesetter, you might consider a Woo from ceramicgrillstore.com. 

Here something to try for this weekend:

1) use a pizza stone or a roasting pan to block the direct heat. Place this on your egg's grate.
    2) use a V rack or 3 metal cans (e.g. tomato paste cans) to create a raised platform of a few inches above the pan or stone.
    3) put a grill grate on top of the Vrack (or cans).  The grate can be from your old BBQ, toaster oven, cooling rack, etc.
    4) put the brisket on the raised grate.
    5) cook low and slow and enjoy.  Just make sure the brisket does not overhang your pan/stone.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    +1 for woo or (adjustable rig)with a stone from CGS instead of platesetter...much more versatile piece of equipment.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    deenet said:
    how do you like this weather?
    It's October in North Texas.  It's when Texas weather is at its finest - with the occasional injection of weather oddities that confuse and dismay us.  Like today's blanket of fog....

Quinn, thanks.  You have pushed me one step closer. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    +1 for adj rig. Do not get the plate setter. You will regret it once you learn how awesome the rig is.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.