Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the best vac sealer for the money?

Options
mwraulst
mwraulst Posts: 131
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
All, It looks like a vac sealer is the way to go. Especially now that i'm cooking pounds of bbq and there are only two of us. There seems to be hundreds of different kinds, yall mind telling me which brands and models you like and why? Looking to get this to the top of the xmas list asap.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Just went through this one! Seems like foodsaver is the main manufacturer and models vary slightly between features. Check out this tread lots of info and links

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143266/food-saver#latest
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have a foodsaver gamesaver plus and it's pretty good. Want to get a better one but this doesn't seem to want to break. If you google foodsaver repair depots, you should be able to get a warranteed refurbished one at less than half of list

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    u_tarded, after reading that it looks like its foodsaver or nothing. Little steven, thanks for the advice on the refurbished. I'll def. be doing that. costco aside (not a member nor is one close) what do you all do for the bags? amazon? directly from foodsaver? Is this like the razor blade thing where the unit costs you a nominal amount and the bags are pricey?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

If you can find a local service outlet they sell the FS bags at a substantial discount as well. Thanks for the reminder..I need to make a trip this week

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chunky_Charc
    Options

Foodsaver Gamesaver Silver

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    They sell off brand bags at Walmart and those types of places. I hit the mother load at WM a few weeks ago and bought rival brand bags/rolls for like 1.25 a box. Amazon.com seems to be reasonable if you buy in bulk or price shop a lot.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    You can't go wrong by comparing reviews on amazon.com.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Did a lot of asking and research before buying a while back and purchased the Gamesaver Silver with the "kit" that has the 12 volt cord and the carrying bag and good assortment of bags/rolls.  It was actually a few cents cheaper than the same unit without the accessory package.  We like the capability of sealing several times in a row without shutting down from overheat.  Also the service people indicated far fewer of these were sent back for repair.   Sometimes a simpler machine is a better choice.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We have a real simple Foodsaver.  It has a manual latch to lock pressure down, and the "Seal" button doesn't run the vacuum.  There's a Vac-Seal button for closing the bag.  It's very quick compared to the expensive tall model we used to have which wasted about 3/4 - 1" of bag with each sealing.  I don't remember the model number, I'm at work right now.