Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Turbo Ribs tonight

Dave in Florida
Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did a rack with the samples I got from Oakridge BBQ.  Used the Beef and Rib rub.  Man, that stuff is GOOD!

Anyways did turbo method and they turn out great as usual.

Look how moist and juicy they are, plus a nice smoke ring.

This is how tender they are.  This truly is a single bite from the first rib I picked up.  Every one of them were as tender.

Had Camp Bread, Ribs, and football.  Life is good but it's back to work tomorrow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• Looking good! Can you describe the time and temp you used?
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2012
    Looking good! Can you describe the time and temp you used?
    This is exactly what I did.  Trimmed the spares to St. Louis, removed membrane, slathered with mustard and applied the rub.  Placed back in the fridge until LBGE was up to temp.

LBGE at 350 dome, indirect, legs up, drip pan with 50/50 mix of apple juice and water.  Placed 4 chunks of peach wood on each side of the egg.  Since I had 3 racks of ribs I had to use my extended grid.  2 racks of ribs went on the bottom and 1 on the top, making certain they did not hang past the drip pan.  Ribs went on bone side down for 1 hour.  Then I flipped them bone side up for 1 hour.  After the hour the top rack was passing the bend test but the bottom racks went for about 20 mins. more before they had a drawback and passed the bend test.  Sauced with 50/50 mix of Blues Hog and Sonny's Sweet sauce.  Let them rest for about 15 mins and enjoyed.

Usually I spray the ribs with just apple juice every 30 mins. But I could not find my spray bottle so I didn't with this cook. I didn't see any difference.

• Great detail. Thanks for sharing. Ill be doing a pork butt on Saturday and hopefully ribs soon. 
  • Great detail. Thanks for sharing. Ill be doing a pork butt on Saturday and hopefully ribs soon. 
    The meatiness of the ribs will determine the + or - in cook time.  I have had some that took only 50 mins for a decent pull back and passing the bend test.  Some took longer than a hour because they were so meaty.  I watch the pull back and the bend test tells me they are done.  But the hour mark each side is pretty standard for the ribs I get at Sam's Club. 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Wow - Only 2+ hours for ribs.  I got to try the higher heat next time.

Ive been doing 225 for 5 hours and they have not been that great.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq said:

Wow - Only 2+ hours for ribs.  I got to try the higher heat next time.

Ive been doing 225 for 5 hours and they have not been that great.

Probably not cooking them long enough. 225 dome is a little low, IMO. Try 275 dome for 5 or 6 hours and you may get better results - works great for me.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Probably not cooking them long enough. 225 dome is a little low, IMO. Try 275 dome for 5 or 6 hours and you may get better results - works great for me.
    5 hrs is plenty at  275* dome.  That's what I generally target (min 250* and max 290*).  I'll start to sauce at the 4.5hr to 5 hr mark depending upon how the temps were running and how cold the ribs were when they hit the grill.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

Just curious about the flipping part.  Is there a reason for this?  I started doing the turbo method about 5 rib cooks ago, and have never done slow cook since.

George

George
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Bringing back an old thread hear just because I did a search for "turbo ribs." I have never had much success with spares so we have been doing baby backs for a couple of years and the family really likes them. I have done a couple of spares but they were way too greasy and tough. I found St. Louis on sale today at the store so I bought a rack thinking I would try turbo style. Discovered that we were supposed to be going to the in-laws for dinner tonight so I made another trip to the store and picked up a second rack.

Perfect opportunity to try an experiment:I tried to get two very similar racks so I could do a true test but I failed in my selection.  I turbo'd one rack at ~350-375 on my medium and cooked the other rack at ~275-280 on the large. After trimming both racks, one rack was much meatier and the other turned out to be a bit of a runt as there was a lot of fat under the membrane and there was a bit of cartilage that had to be trimmed too.

The turbo cook was the significantly smaller rack but they turned out fantastic. They were done right on time and tender and juicy. I sauced at 1:45 min, FTC'd and still had to wait on the other rack on the large egg.

The rack I smoked at ~275 (the meatier one) went on at noon and was still quite stiff at 5:00PM. Although it was a much larger and leaner rack, I was surprised at the length of time on this one. I ended up putting this rack on the medium at 375 for a half hr to get them done enough to take to dinner. My in-laws have an egg too so I sauced them on their egg. This rack turned out great too this time. 

Bottom line is that I've been trying to do spares a too low of temp. I think I'll try turbo again next time I do spares. I forgot to take pics (so I guess one could say this "didn't happen") Hope you all had great cooks this weekend.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!