Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP Please: Brisket/Pastrami

Aaron_Toronto
Aaron_Toronto Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in Beef
My temp of the meet got up to 171 then dropped to162, however the egg is steady at 250. Is this normal

Comments

• Same thing happened to me when I did pastrami a couple of weeks ago.  The temp swung up and down a few times before it was finished.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • SouthGaSmoker, was it still tasty and good

• yes, it turned out fine.
    St. Mary's, GA
  • totally normal by the way. Most large cuts like brisket and butts hit a stall where the temp flatlines or even goes down a bit. This is due to evaporative cooling when the meat loses some of the internal liquids during this stage of the cook.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    What temp are you guys taking pastrami to? I've been taking mine to 165* because it shreds at 190+ which makes slicing thin impossible.

What do you guys like it finished at?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've gone to brisket temps, but I've also smoked to 155 (really just adding smoke) or so and then steamed before serving.
    Pastrami:
    Take a corned beef brisket and soak for 3 days (changing the water twice a day)  Don't use the spice that comes with it.  I use a salt free rub from... Lantana of Texas.
    I score mine with a knife in the direction of the grain before I apply the rub.  That way I know how to slice "cross the grain".  I then wrap in saran wrap overnight before cooking.
    I then cook to 195° - 200° internal & pull and then let cool, then wrap in saran wrap and put into the fridge overnight.
    Slicing is a cinch then.
    Everybody in my hood thinks this pastrami is the bomb....yeah I know, some of you probably won't.  Guess what........
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs