Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza

doncarl
doncarl Posts: 23
edited September 2012 in Baking
new to the egg.....have tried pizza about 5 times (one good, four awful).  the biggest problem i have is getting the dough off of the peel and onto the stone.  Have not yet tried to cook the dough for awhile and then add toppings (seems like cheating).  Have tried parchment and it also seems like cheating.  Have added corn meal to the peel, and it's still a problem.  any suggestions?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    There are options in this egghead thread....browse through it.  super peel, screens, etc.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143862/parchment-paper-for-pizza/p1
    What kind of peel do you have?  I have a plain old wood peel and I first tried corn meal and didn't like the way it worked or the texture.  Switched to semolina mixed with a bit of flour.  Worked better than the corn meal and the texture was less gritty.  I switched up now to just using Caputo 00 flour on the peal and plenty on my hands when working with the ball of dough.  Slides off best of anything so far and has the least effect on the taste or texture. 
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • I use parchment paper and I don't think it's cheating...I think it's easy...and smart. works well and makes for less mess.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited September 2012
    I don't have a peel, so I put the dough on the hot stone & then build the pizza (& then back on the cooker). 
    I've never used parchment paper but many people on here have had good results.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • I use a SuperPeel, and it is so much fun and works so slick, that it has got to be cheating!
  • porkman said:
    I use a SuperPeel, and it is so much fun and works so slick, that it has got to be cheating!
    +1
  • doncarl said:
    new to the egg.....have tried pizza about 5 times (one good, four awful).  the biggest problem i have is getting the dough off of the peel and onto the stone.  Have not yet tried to cook the dough for awhile and then add toppings (seems like cheating).  Have tried parchment and it also seems like cheating.  Have added corn meal to the peel, and it's still a problem.  any suggestions?
    One for, four against, let me guess the one where you "cheated" and used parchment was the good one. I have made pizza at home for years and can use a peel without flour or meal, but I use parchment. Why? It works every time. Also when we have fiends in and everyone is "building a pie" they all want to throw them on the egg. Parchment let's them do that. (with a little help from my cookie sheet with no lip on one side, no handle easy to use)
    Regarding the use of a peel, it might be helpful when you are doing the last shaping of your dough, just before you are ready to transfer to the peel, make sure the surface and hence the dough is well floured, if it is sticking to the counter, it will stick to the peel. Once on the peel, try and get the pie built and on the egg ASAP. the faster you move the less likely you are to have a "sticker". 
    Good luck! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Here is a tip I learned while sitting in our favorite pizza/pasta joint a few months ago.....

Once your pizza is on the peel and ready to slide it onto the stone, lift an edge of the pizza, take a deep breath and blow a good puff of air under the pizza.  It will flop like a flag blowing in the wind...well sort of...actually it will allow you to slide the pizza a bit and if you time it just right you can get an edge to leave the peel and end up on the stone.  For me once i get the leading edge on the stone the rest is easy as pie.....

Takes some practice so don't give up.  The guys in the pizza joint were moving huge pizzas with that technique.

• I have found that if your dough is cold or cool, condensation will form on the peel no matter how much flower you have on there. I leave my dough out for about 3 hrs to ensure its room temp then work with it. Hope that helps.
  • JwgreDeux
    JwgreDeux Posts: 139
    I use a basic wood peel and here is how I do it (never had sticking issues):

Form dough on counter until the shape size you want
    Put a pinch of corn meal on the peel and rub it around the entire peel
    Place dough on peel and give peel a shake/wiggle and get dough to slide around a bit on the peel
    Sauce your dough, repeat shake/wiggle
    Put on first topping, repeat shake/wiggle
    Put on next topping, repeat shake/wiggle
    Slide on to stone on hot egg

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    I just bought the Super Peel and am super excited to use it.  The videos and reviews show that is the way to go!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• I don't think there is any such thing as cheating when it comes to cooking as long as you're doing it yourself.  Serve a pizza you bought from Dominos & tell people you made it, that would be cheating.

Anyway to your question.  If you properly work your dough you should be able to put it directly on the peel alone with nothing added to it, build your pie, then transfer it to the egg.  Will it take practice?  Of course.  Will a few stick to the peel?  Of course.  Might you experience frustration during the learning process?  Probably.  But if you hang in there you will get it down and you will be quite pleased with the simplicity of the process and the results.

Some specifics:  When I say properly work your dough I'm suggesting first that you make your own dough.  It must be at room temperature also before you begin shaping it.  Begin with a very light dusting of flour on your working surface to start (whether it's granite, wood, corian, laminate, stainless or whatever).  Next, empty your dough onto the surface top side down (the round top of the dough will naturally be drier than the bottom that has been in contact with whatever container you used to rise your dough, so making the drier 'top' the new bottom will greatly assist in ease of transfer).  Then finger flatten and shape, lift the dough and work with your hands until you reach the desired size and, when satisfied, lay it on the peel.  Give the peel a shake to be sure the dough is moving.  Add toppings, shake once or twice more during the building process to assure continued movement, then deliver your pie to the stone and shut the dome, done.

• I use parchment paper and I don't think it's cheating...I think it's easy...and smart. works well and makes for less mess.

+1

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• porkman said:
    I use a SuperPeel, and it is so much fun and works so slick, that it has got to be cheating!
    I also use the SuperPeel and it is awesome.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I use parchment paper and I don't think it's cheating...I think it's easy...and smart. works well and makes for less mess.

+1
    +2 Not sure why people feel/call it cheating. Its just another tool in your arsenal that works. Is using a thermometer to check the temperature of your meat cheating? Chefs don't do it, but most of us here do. That's just another tool. But, if you don't feel like its right, a few other suggestions have been offered above.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    I use parchment paper and I don't think it's cheating...I think it's easy...and smart. works well and makes for less mess.

+1
    +2 Not sure why people feel/call it cheating. Its just another tool in your arsenal that works. Is using a thermometer to check the temperature of your meat cheating? Chefs don't do it, but most of us here do. That's just another tool. But, if you don't feel like its right, a few other suggestions have been offered above.
    +3 Excellent point!  Most health departments require a chef to have a thermometer to be sure the food is at a safe temperature.  Is that cheating?  I think not.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    McNuttly said:

I don't think there is any such thing as cheating when it comes to cooking as long as you're doing it yourself.  Serve a pizza you bought from Dominos & tell people you made it, that would be cheating.

Anyway to your question.  If you properly work your dough you should be able to put it directly on the peel alone with nothing added to it, build your pie, then transfer it to the egg.  Will it take practice?  Of course.  Will a few stick to the peel?  Of course.  Might you experience frustration during the learning process?  Probably.  But if you hang in there you will get it down and you will be quite pleased with the simplicity of the process and the results.

Some specifics:  When I say properly work your dough I'm suggesting first that you make your own dough.  It must be at room temperature also before you begin shaping it.  Begin with a very light dusting of flour on your working surface to start (whether it's granite, wood, corian, laminate, stainless or whatever).  Next, empty your dough onto the surface top side down (the round top of the dough will naturally be drier than the bottom that has been in contact with whatever container you used to rise your dough, so making the drier 'top' the new bottom will greatly assist in ease of transfer).  Then finger flatten and shape, lift the dough and work with your hands until you reach the desired size and, when satisfied, lay it on the peel.  Give the peel a shake to be sure the dough is moving.  Add toppings, shake once or twice more during the building process to assure continued movement, then deliver your pie to the stone and shut the dome, done.

Good info. There are lots of ways to make a pizza, this is the "purists" way and that's a good thing. There is nothing wrong with using any and all the help you need to get the best result, including using parchment, using a pizza stone instead of a flat piece of limestone or granite, standing on your head, sacrificing a goat (or virgin for my friend in the Mississippi Delta) and holding your mouth just the right way. Use what works, but keep trying and don't hesitate to try different work and time saving ways of getting good results. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I use a super peel from now on.  However, if you are using a metal peel to place it in the stone expect it to stick.  A wooden peel with flour can work with enough practice.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cheating, schmeating.  Parchment paper ain't cheatin'.   Using perfume to make truffle butter is cheatin'.   Especially if you use margarine and call it "truffle butter".  See the difference?  ;)