Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon

Onegrecook
Onegrecook Posts: 121
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Found a co-worker that raises pigs. She sold me a pork belly. Anybody willing to share their favorite recipe for home smoked bacon?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    That is some good looking stuff. There are some other threads going currently about bacon.  Try those or use the search engine.  I have not done it personally, but thinking about it.  Good Luck
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Home cured/smoked bacon is awesome. I do it a couple times a year following Ruhlman's recipe... http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/ Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    edited October 2012
    @Mighty_Quinn Really easy recipe, will try that one for sure.  I assume indirect on the egg?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yeah, set up for indirect and use whatever wood you like for smoke...hickory or apple are good. Smoke at 200* until belly is 150*...
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391

There was a thread either here or the "other" bge site, about a month ago about this.

It had several really good hyper-links to other sources/recipes. I knew I should have saved it.

I DID just buy "Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman, highly recommended.

His recipes use pink salt, I used to always use Morton's Tender Quick.

Go to the Mortons website and order the very inexpensive guide to "Meat Curing", it's also a good source.

RicklessssssS in Oregon.

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Charcuterie is a fantastic book for this, they have two versions, one sweet (more maple syrup) and a savory (more garlic etc...).  Basicaally, take pink salts, kosher salt, brown sugar and a few other ingredients, rub the pork belly with the mixture and leave in your fridge for a week turning each day or so.  A week later get you egg to 200 degrees with hickory, cherry, apple or whatever woods you like and smoke until 155 degree temp.  I have been doing it for quite sometime now and just mix different flavors in with the pink salts and kosher depending on how sweet/savory I want it.  I also did wild boar bacon which was fantastic.  Search my name and you will find all I did and some great commentary from the egg heads.