Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baltimore pit beef

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Decided to give Baltimore pit beef a try for dinner. Wanted something hot and fast rather than low and slow.  Found a nice 4 pound top round, trimmed to about 3 1/2 pounds.

Seasoned with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and some garlic. Started out indirect at 400 until internal temp hit 100, then pulled it and let it rest while I converted the egg for a direct sear. That platesetter sure gets hot.

Seared right over the coals on all sides for a couple of minutes until internal temp reached 125, then pulled and rested it.

Only thing I'd do different next time is pull it sooner.  Probably only go to 90 indirect, then 115 to 120 seared.  Turned out not quite as rare as I was hoping for.

Served in the traditional way on a kaiser roll with raw onions and tiger sauce (equal parts horseradish, mayo, with a little salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice).  Made for a nice roast beef sandwich.

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Interesting.  I'm going to add that to the list of things to try.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    looks good and reminds myself i must not look at Tj post lol 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    Actually bigphil, it's a pretty lean cut - trimmed off all the fat, and used no oil, and only salt pepper and garlic for seasoning.  For red meat, it gets a lot worse. You can probably convince the wife it's health food.
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    lol Tj meats ok its the desserts she told me to stay away from . my bad  :)>-  but i do enjoy your cooks and the kids love the desserts thanks for sharing 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • so roughly what was the total cook time. trying to complete this by 5. i am guessing i should start the fire around noon. does that sound about right?
  • Tjcoley
    Total cook time was only about an hour.  I only took the IT to 100 degrees before searing it, so it gets there pretty quick.  

thanks

• Hi TJ.  Is that a round roast?  It looks good.  I'll have to give it a whirl.  My family doesn't really go for the "Horsey Sauce".  I'll have to make an "Arby's Sauce".
    Flint, Michigan
  • Tjcoley
    Top Round roast, trimmed of almost all the fat.
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    That's a great idea and looks very meaty!  
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Looks great. On my list for this next week.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Good looking cook, as always Tj. 
    I've done this cut, and an eye of round, at 275-300 for about an hour, indirect, internal to 115-120. Loose wrap it, remove the setter, drop the grate, open the vents and seared quickly to get a nice crust. You offer good advice, keep the rub simple, less to burn on the sear. 
    It is not the most tender, so like yours, keep the slices thin. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    The other way to make this is to just sear it, turning frequently, until you reach the internal temp you want.  I like the reverse sear of bringing it almost up to temp indirect, then dropping down near the coals to sear, as it has less chance of burning rather than searing.  Forget all you know about low and slow.  This is a hot and fast cook, not a brisket, with a great seared bark on the outside, with rare beef inside.  As @Skiddymarker said, needs to be sliced thin, then piled on the bun.  
    Rare
    after putting the slices back on for the dwell. I was able to eat a great sandwich. I will stick to medium rare. 150 at the least. 
    sauce was the key to this one
  • Tjcoley... I like your setup for the reverse sear. I was in the BGE store a month ago and saw that funky looking double hinged grid laying on the floor next to a large Egg. I asked the clerk what is that thing? He said it is a grill extender to give you another cooking level in your Egg. He showed me how it sat on top of the regular 18" grid. I said how much? He said $21, I said sold. I used it to put more rib's on and to cook veggies on top of the meat. Then one day I was discussing the reverse sear with Meathead from AmazingRib's.com. His comment was that the BGE was not a very good grill because you can't get your meat close enough to the hot lump. I was thinking he might be right. So at that time I went out to my BGE and looked at that funky little hinged grid and with a tape measure I saw that it was 15 1/2" across. Then I measured across my fire box and it was 15". I place that grill extender right on top of my fire box and it fit like a glove, with removing the fire ring. You would think that the clerk at the BGE store would have mentioned that capability!!! That is a much better selling feature that being on top of the bigger grid. I now use that little grid more than the big grid. It is great for the reverse sear for sure.
  • Opps... I made a mistake on my last comment. I meant to say, without removing the fire ring.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Thread revival.  Great tip on the BGE grid extender @HogHeaven.  I have one and use it alot.  Never thought to drop it on the firebox for an "Icarus" sear.  Will have to try that.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • 500... That GX, grill extender is made by BGE. I'm sure their engineer's we're eying to give us egger's the ability to get our meat closer to the hot lump but they must not have told the sales team about all of it's capable uses. After I figured it out I was back at my local BGE store and pointed out to 3 of the sales people and they were dumbfounded. They had no clue until I showed them.
  • Tjcoley
    Grill extender works great sitting right on top of the coals for searing.  I'll be looking for another one soon.  After 18 months of use, it's getting pretty rough and flaking from spending the time in the real high heat of the coals.  
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Yep, I used my extender like that for months. Until it wore out. Pretty cheap. Now I use spider with 13" CI grid to sear and like it much better.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Should have read the whole thread. Tjcoley, the hot platesetter is a beeatch. Get the spider and CI grid I referenced earlier. Go Trex instead. Sear on the CI first, pull it to rest, leave spider and CI in and just put PS in then grid. Drink your beverage until egg comes do to 400, check temp with  thermopen, throw on egg, and finish. This way the second part of cook (roast)is the slow part instead of the fast part (sear) so less likely to overcook. More than one way to skin a cat, but just my .02
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    If you have GrillGrates, the work equally well for putting right down on top of the coals.  I have a woo with the bottom ring and I put a grill grate on top of the ring for a great sear.

The people at my BGE store are really friendly and helpful.  That said I know 1000 times more about using the BGE than they do.  If you've owned an egg for a couple of years, you probably do too.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Chubbs... Increasing the heat of the BGE is very quick and easy. Reducing the heat of the BGE takes a long time. I have no clue why an Egger would use the Trex method. The cooking device you are using just works better with the reverse sear. I can go from 300 degrees to 600 degrees 10 times faster than you can get your BGE down from 600 degrees to 400 degrees. Plus... If you sear it at the end of the cook the crust you are trying to get is thinner which makes your meat pink... Bumper to bumper. Real expensive Steakhouse's finish their cook at 800 degrees under a broiler. Plus you will NEVER get grill marks at a high class Steakhouse. That look, technic, was started by the low cost Steakhouse's that use a cheaper grade of meat. Putting grill marks on a steak is like putting lipstick on a pig. I like my steak to come of the grill a deep dark mahogany color with the interior pink, bumper to bumper. I rotate it when I am searing it so I don't get grill marks. Just my opinion... That my advice and do exactly what pleases you!
  • @HogHeaven - You can stop resusatating this thread.  It's a dead horse by now.  Check the dates on threads you wish to comment on as this one is old and perhaps your comment is not relavent anymore.

Flint, Michigan
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Fred... If it is dead, what are doing in here?