Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Setup on Adjustable Rig/

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have an XL and the CGS adjustable rig combo package (spider, stone, etc...).  Going to finally try my first pizza tonight but am not sure what the best setup is to do an indirect cook using the adjustable rig.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    On my large, I go grid on top of AR, then stone for indirect, spacers, stone to cook pies on. That gets the pizzas nice and high in the dome. I'm doing few tonight...I'll post assuming they turn out ok...
  • Little Steven
    Options
    What Quinn said.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    So it takes two stones?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I use two stones. One for indirect & one for pizza.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Some of us don't use any except the pizza stone we cook on. With the Adj Rig I cook direct.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Some of us don't use any except the pizza stone we cook on. With the Adj Rig I cook direct.
    I will try that next time as I seem to have trouble keeping my temp up sometimes.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    With the xl rig you have a couple options.  Best to get the pizza stone high in the dome.  Use the plastesetter or XL Woo as the base with xl grid.  the xl rig goes top with xl rig grid and 17.5 stone.  

I do thin crust pizza, so use the xl woo and only the pizza stone and 425ish dome temp.   To goal is to have an even heat plume coming off the lump to heat the stone evenly.  

If the stone gets too hot, slide a foiled grid under or just remove the stone and finish the pizza on the grid (best with parchment paper under)

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.