Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon

Bubba12803
Bubba12803 Posts: 24
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever tried to smoke their own bacon on the egg? I would like to give it a try but not sure of how I would do it.

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I used Fred's method except I was able to find a pork belly from a butcher.
    Here's Fred's video:

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/744.htm

Pay attention to:
    After it's cured, follow his steps on soaking and then drying the meat before cooking. 
    It was excellent!
    I'll be doing another one soon.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    If stike were around, he could tell you more than you would ever need to know. Be patient, there are people here who have and they'll be around shortly to inform you. Still something I'd like to try if I could ever find pork belly.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:

If stike were around, he could tell you more than you would ever need to know. Be patient, there are people here who have and they'll be around shortly to inform you. Still something I'd like to try if I could ever find pork belly.

Is it possible to order a pork belly online? I've wanted to try making bacon as well, but can't find a pork belly around here.
  • I dry cure mine with butcher packer cures. .33 ounces per pound of belly ( i like their maple cure)  rub thoroughly and place in ziploc in the fridge. rotate every other day.  Normally it is fully cured in 14-21 days. Remove from ziploc and let dry on a rack in fridge (preferably overnight until a pellicle forms.   Smoke on egg indirect at 225-250 until internal temp of bacon reaches 150*.  Use your favorite wood.  (again, i like maple).  You will not be dissapointed.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I have a few threads where I cure and smoke bacon (search under my nam, - I even did wild boar bacon).  If you are just wondering about smoked bacon, I just did it again last weekend.  About a 5lb curred belly, I smoked with hickory and cherry at 200 degrees on the egg until the belly reached an internal of 155 (any wood is fine for the most part I just found this when I was looking).  then pulled it, it is in my fridge now and I will slice this weekend.  I am a huge fan of taking the slices, and then putting them back on when I am making food low/slow and I just put brown sugar and maybe a few other slices and just leave them on the egg with ribs, butt, pulled beef etc...  I and my kids love it.  Let me know if I can help with the cure. 
  • Thanks for all info. Really looking forward to trying this some weekend. So many things you can do with the egg!
  • If stike were around, he could tell you more than you would ever need to know. Be patient, there are people here who have and they'll be around shortly to inform you. Still something I'd like to try if I could ever find pork belly.
    Is it possible to order a pork belly online? I've wanted to try making bacon as well, but can't find a pork belly around here.
    Dunno where you are but if you have an oriental market near you they will have them and probably cheaper than grocery stores

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    If you can get only grocery store bacon, you'll love it. I can get Amish thick sliced and slab, and the whole process seemed like a waste of time to me. It was no better than what I can buy and took a lot of effort to save a total of $4. I used Rulhman's recipe.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Meant to add the link.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • I made some bacon a couple of months ago.  It turned out great.  I bought Ruhlmans book after reading about it on the forum.  My next project is going to be Canadian Bacon.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot