Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at ribs

JwgreDeux
JwgreDeux Posts: 139
edited September 2012 in Pork
Put my first two slabs of ribs on the egg 3hours ago. They are coming along, but I'm a bit nervous that I dont name a thermometer in there to tell me exactly how far along they are. Cooking at 250, so expecting to sauce them at the 4.5 hour mark and they should be done soon thereafter. Thoughts?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Ribs have too much of a bone-to-meat ratio to make the use of a thermo of any value.  So, here's the doneness test-and given your calibrated? dome temp you are looking at the 4-5 hour mark: bend test-with a set of tongs, pick up one end of the full rack and eyeball the bend of the rack in mid air.  Around 90* and you are there-others use the toothpick test-insert a toothpick into the meat near the bone-no resistance in or out in several places-done.  The toothpick is about the best way if you have to cut the racks to cook them.  Beyond that search "car wash mike's rib recipe' for great info-enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited September 2012
    here is how I do my ribs....turns out perfect every time.

- I season the night before (in my favorite rub) wrap in saran wrap and frig overnite.
    pull ribs out about an hour before putting on the Egg
    - I put them on bone side down for two hours, then I wrap them in foil and pour about a 1/4 cup of apple juice in the foil and cook another 2 hours.
    - then I open the top of foil and mop with sauce and let heat for about 15 minutes

I have never had the meat not be falling off the bone after doing this method. the grate temp is 240.

hope yours turns out great!

Brandon, MS
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2012
    I'll stick with the turbo method.  No foil here.  Great moist, single bite through tender every time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited September 2012
    I'll stick with the turbo method.  No foil here.  Great moist, single bite through tender every time.
    Dave, at least you and I agree on one thing GO GATORS!!! :-)
    Brandon, MS
  • The 4.5 hour mark is a good time to be checking them.  Just pick them up with the tongs down the length of the slab to just short of half way.  They don't bend to quite 90 degrees, but pretty close.  They also usually crack a little at the top.  

I don't wrap them or anything.  Just let them run.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Used the bend method and the toothpick method, and they turned out great. Some of the thinner ribs were barely overdone, but the thinker ones we amazing.
  • Heres a pic of them, and some stuffed peppers.
  • That's what I'm talkin about.  Great job
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Ribs look great.  So many ways ti do ribs that turn out amazing results.  I think the only bad way to do ribs is when you burn them. 
    :-O
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!