Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time and temp controllers

timekpr1
timekpr1 Posts: 151
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
For those of you who have them - what is the shortest duration cooking time that makes a temp controller worthwhile?
Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I have used mine any cooks of an hour or more.  Its really all your personal preference.  Sometimes I don't feel like setting the Guru up and cook without it on shorter cooks, but I always use it for the long low and slow's. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2012

I use my ET-73 for 1 hour meatloaf.  I want to know right when it hits 155 so I can pull it at the optimal temp (like and other meat, I guess).

Packerland, Wisconsin

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use my digiq whenever I want to hold the temp at 325 degrees or less with recipes that take more than an hour to complete.  I also use it when doing cooks when putting on multiple loads of appetizers.  When I grill jalapeno poppers, I normally stagger putting on about 12 of them at at 15 minute increments so we always have fresh throughout the evening.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I usually don't use my Stoker on cooks less than 5 hrs long unless I need/want remote control or a graph.

The wireless signal on my model Maverick (made for Williams-Sonoma) stinks or I would use it more often on shorter cooks.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2012
    I usually dont use the controller unless it is more than a couple hours. On a 6 hour cook like ribs...if im just hangin around the house sometimes i dont borher. Always use it for overniters.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Shortest time I use it for is ribs, so 4-5 hours.  Anything less than that I just don't want to fool with setting it up.

I do use a Maverick to make sure of the grid temp.  
  • Thanks for the info.  The Auber temp controller is on sale for $130.05 through their site.  I do not want to pay big bucks for one.  The Auber should meet my needs.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • I sometimes like to use mine just so the fan can get the temp up faster.  Even on fast cooks.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • I just bought an auber (took advantage of the sale) and used it for the first time last night.  It is so nice to be able to sleep comfortably not worrying about the temp on an overnighter.  I cooked a butt at 215 grid and it was the best one I have done yet.  Very moist and delicious.  I dont think you'll regret the purchase.

-D

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    I have the auber. It works great and I use it when I need to hold the temp and don't have time to watch the grill. Allows me to do other things while the food cook!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Thanks for the input.  Anyone using the Auber on a medium BGE?