Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

London quickie

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited September 2012 in Beef

I hadn't fired up the BGE for a day or two and was depressed.  Local supermarket had London Broil for $2.99 a pound.  Not the most tender of cuts but I went with it.  Home made rub for a couple hours on the counter.  Ran BGE up to 500 and slapped it on with apple chips.  Call it a learning experience.  Want rare or medium rare meat?  Run a hot grill.

If you don't have a long straight slicer get one!  I found one cheap on Amazon.;  The secret to less-than-tender cuts is thin slices.

I intended to pull it off at 125.  Checked it all over with the Thermapen and it was all over the park with 125 or so on the high side.  We hate overdone.  I pulled it off, covered it with a small hand towel and let it rest fifteen minutes.  Checked again and it was 125ish all over.  Great dinner!

Lesson learned: Better under than over on the temp.  It will all work out.

My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great.  +1 on the thin slices for london broil.  Turns what can be a tough cut into melt in your mouth goodness.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks tasty!

Any steak labeled "London Broil" is really miss-named.  London broil is a technique for cooking that traditionally used flank steak...but now many butchers label top round in a thick steak cut "London Broil" on the label.

Anyway, you can do this technique on just about any cut, but the technique is broiling or searing very hot, then cutting slices across the grain.  I do it frequently with flank, hanger and skirt.
    Options
    Looks great!  These are all great tips. "Err on the side of rare"!  You can always cook it more, but I haven't figured out how to "uncook" one once it is overdone ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.