Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb chops tonight!

Options
JHazard
JHazard Posts: 18
edited September 2012 in Lamb
Haven't done the lamb chops before, but these guys (shoot! Can't figure how to post picture from my phone!) appear to be about an inch and a half. I put some salt and pepper and a blend of seasons I bought in France; oregano, rosemary, salt etc.

Planning on 400 degrees for the egg and am thinking 15-20 minutes should do it. I plan to pull around 130 and hope the rest up to 135-140.

Does this sound good? Any better ideas?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Man, 15 to 20 minutes is way too long for lamb chops. Least to my tastes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd do direct, fairly high heat because I love that crispy burnt lamb on the outside, and cook to about 128 internal - cooking very hot it will rise up another 7 degrees.  Should give you a good medium rare.  Spice combo sounds perfect.  Then mix up some sour cream, whipping cream or yogurt and horseradish with a little (dried is fine) mint, salt and black pepper as a cold sauce.
    I'd do direct, fairly high heat because I love that crispy burnt lamb on the outside, and cook to about 128 internal - cooking very hot it will rise up another 7 degrees.  Should give you a good medium rare.  Spice combo sounds perfect.  Then mix up some sour cream, whipping cream or yogurt and horseradish with a little (dried is fine) mint, salt and black pepper as a cold sauce.
    You guys don't use mint sauce too much. It is the bomb for lamb.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Doing them tomorrow!  I too like to sear a bit and serve somewhat rare in the middle.  My cook is like 450, lowered grid, 5 minutes to a side.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Marinading with your spices and a little lemon works too.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeah, I actually prefer rare/blue.  I'm the guy that eats raw meat when I'm prepping dinner.  Lamb can be a little slimy at beef rare temps, so I usually go MR with lamb.  But that's mostly with leg.