Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White iGrill on sale at Best Buy

Options
Mbeach
Mbeach Posts: 21
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Not sure how long but it is on sale for $66.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Thank you sir.

Can some one please elaborate on the pros of this?

I have a maverick 73. Would it be worth the upgrade, is it an upgrade??

XLBGE 
  • Mbeach
    Options
    I can let you know my thoughts in a week or two. I have heard and read great reviews. I did hear it drains batteries, but with a set of rechargeable batteries it won't be a problem.

The only problem I have right now is getting one of the ambient probes. Igrill is sold out right now.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I like mine. It has 2 temp probes. Both of mine are for food because the grate probe has been "unavailable' lately. It has an app associated with it that I use on my iPad so that you can connect to the iGrill via bluetooth. The stated range is 300 feet but I suspect that is on the Bonneville salt flats. At home, I can view my iPad in the kitchen and monitor temps. You can set the temp alarms within the app which is much easier than using the buttons on the thermometer. Also, the app has a lot of recommended presets but you can generate your own and save them. For example, I just made some sourdough and now have a Sourdough setting for 210. Another feature is a minute by minute graph of the measures temp of each probe. If you really like that, you can email the graphs as pdf's or simple spreadsheets. Only one device can sync at a time.
  • Mbeach
    Options

I like mine. It has 2 temp probes. Both of mine are for food because the grate probe has been "unavailable' lately.

It has an app associated with it that I use on my iPad so that you can connect to the iGrill via bluetooth. The stated range is 300 feet but I suspect that is on the Bonneville salt flats. At home, I can view my iPad in the kitchen and monitor temps.

You can set the temp alarms within the app which is much easier than using the buttons on the thermometer.

Also, the app has a lot of recommended presets but you can generate your own and save them. For example, I just made some sourdough and now have a Sourdough setting for 210.

Another feature is a minute by minute graph of the measures temp of each probe. If you really like that, you can email the graphs as pdf's or simple spreadsheets.

Only one device can sync at a time.

Thank you for the information. I have an iPhone and iPad. Do you or anyone know if it can be bluetoothed with an iMac? If so, I can remote from iPhone to the iMac and see the information if I go to the store or away from the house.
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    Had an iGrill and gave it away. Had no range and was very inconsistent. There is a reason why most recommend the Maverick 732 and the iGrill gets all the negative comments it does. Great concept, bad execution.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Mbeach said:

I like mine. It has 2 temp probes. Both of mine are for food because the grate probe has been "unavailable' lately.

It has an app associated with it that I use on my iPad so that you can connect to the iGrill via bluetooth. The stated range is 300 feet but I suspect that is on the Bonneville salt flats. At home, I can view my iPad in the kitchen and monitor temps.

You can set the temp alarms within the app which is much easier than using the buttons on the thermometer.

Also, the app has a lot of recommended presets but you can generate your own and save them. For example, I just made some sourdough and now have a Sourdough setting for 210.

Another feature is a minute by minute graph of the measures temp of each probe. If you really like that, you can email the graphs as pdf's or simple spreadsheets.

Only one device can sync at a time.

Thank you for the information. I have an iPhone and iPad. Do you or anyone know if it can be bluetoothed with an iMac? If so, I can remote from iPhone to the iMac and see the information if I go to the store or away from the house.
    This would b interesting. To know. Bout to do some hoogling

XLBGE 
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Mbeach said:
    I like mine. It has 2 temp probes. Both of mine are for food because the grate probe has been "unavailable' lately. It has an app associated with it that I use on my iPad so that you can connect to the iGrill via bluetooth. The stated range is 300 feet but I suspect that is on the Bonneville salt flats. At home, I can view my iPad in the kitchen and monitor temps. You can set the temp alarms within the app which is much easier than using the buttons on the thermometer. Also, the app has a lot of recommended presets but you can generate your own and save them. For example, I just made some sourdough and now have a Sourdough setting for 210. Another feature is a minute by minute graph of the measures temp of each probe. If you really like that, you can email the graphs as pdf's or simple spreadsheets. Only one device can sync at a time.

Have not tried that. The iGrill syncs with a single device at a time. Not sure if you can chain devices in Bluetooth. From what I have read, the Maverick has better range. There is another one, more expensive, called the CyberQ WiFi that is like a DigiQ plus iGrill but seems a bit complicated (buggy) to me.
  • zosobao5150
    Options
    I know that every product has some negatives to it.  My two probe iGrill works great so far, with range all through my two-story home.  I got it as part of a groupon deal, and it has worked great through about a dozen cooks so far.
    XL BGE
  • Mbeach
    Options
    Got My igrill and have used it 3 times. First time food was overlooked. 2nd it was right. 3rd was undercooked. I took the probes and put into boiling water. They fluctuated from 205-243. Something is not right obviously. It may be a defective one, however it will be returned and a maverick purchased. I also could not get it to pair with IPad. Only could pair with iPhone. Thought I would share my results. Rating from 1-10. I'd give it a 3
  • zosobao5150
    Options
    Sounds like you've already gotten rid of it, but I've heard some owners complain of this type of thing if the probe inputs are not plugged all the way into the unit.

(I am not trying to defend any product)
    XL BGE
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    I have an iGrill and it works well. It has a very nice user interface and some great features. The temp alarms and timers are easy to set. However the Bluetooth range is not close to their claim of 300'. I lose connectivity on the second floor of my house. But, If you look around on this and other forums you'll see very positive comments about the Maverick, and mixed reviews of the iGrill

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Mbeach
    Options

Sounds like you've already gotten rid of it, but I've heard some owners complain of this type of thing if the probe inputs are not plugged all the way into the unit.

(I am not trying to defend any product)

It is on its way back right now. I plugged and unplugged 2-3 times and it was still all over the place. I hate it as I was excited about the options it had. Ohh well