Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs lo and slow vs turbo method

wkndcooker
wkndcooker Posts: 10
edited September 2012 in Pork
I'm a new BGE owner. Baby Back Ribs were one of the 1st things we tried. We used Carwash Mike's Method and were extremely please. Yum!! We're fixing Baby Backs again today but trying a different method. A friend says this is the method he uses... smoke at 250-275, bone side down for 45min then bone side up for 45 minutes. Then wrap in foil and stand up in a rack and cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  When done, bump the temp to 350-400, lay flat out on the grid, slather with BBQ sauce and cook a few minutes to crisp up & caramelize the BBQ sauce some. Hmmm, looks like I might have to call my friend to fill in a few of the details.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    There are many ways to cook ribs. Really the only ways you can mess them up is to take them off to early or forget they are on there all together. I have done both. I have had the best success cooking them at about 275 dome for between 4 and 5 hours. Once I put them on I don't touch the Egg until the 4 hour mark. After that, check as needed until done. Sauce last 30 minutes if you want to.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Thanks. We ended up not cooking the ribs yesterday. Good thing they are in a vacuumed sealed package. So you don't ever foil yours? I was thinking that would make them more fall off the bone. Guess I'll just experiment with this batch.
  • I never foil mine either.  To me it makes the cook more complicated by adding steps for no gain.  To me it seems to take flavor away.  The only gain to me is the ability to speed them up without burning them.  With that said, some of the best competition rib cookers wrap theirs, so it definitely works for some people.  

You can easily get them fall off the bone without wrapping them.  Just cook them longer.  To me fall off the bone is overdone.  In competition cooking perfect doneness is one bite to the bone and only the meat you bite comes off without it being tough to bite through.  

It does seem that most people want them fall off the bone though.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Hello.  I'm a fairly new Egg owner.  I have tried ribs wrapped in foil and they turned out wonderful.  But you are saying you can throw them on a rib rack and just let them smoke?  Sounds too easy!  Any other tips?

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Yes, I'm saying exactly that. Give it a try. You will see.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty said:

Yes, I'm saying exactly that. Give it a try. You will see.

Ditto!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Hello.  I'm a fairly new Egg owner.  I have tried ribs wrapped in foil and they turned out wonderful.  But you are saying you can throw them on a rib rack and just let them smoke?  Sounds too easy!  Any other tips?

Buddy, that's what BBQ is ALL about - letting the food "smoke"!!!  =P~

when you hear a restaurant or a BBQ chef brag about their "18-hour smoked brisket" or their "6-hour smoked ribs" or whatever else they're braggin about - I certainly HOPE they are NOT wrapping those things in foil the whole time!! X(
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • The first time we did our ribs we used Car Wash Mike's method and they turned out perfect. We're just looking for a shorter alternative. We don't always have 5-6 hours.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    The first time we did our ribs we used Car Wash Mike's method and they turned out perfect. We're just looking for a shorter alternative. We don't always have 5-6 hours.
    IIRC, some folks bump the temp to 350* and cut the cut time down to about 1.5 - 2 hrs.  No foil required.  Since I haven't tried this method, search "turbo ribs"  for more info. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    I've lately used the turbo method by laying them flat on the grate and going indirect at 350 for about 1.5 to 2 hours. No foil, just pull when ready and let sit for about 20 minutes or so and they turn out very good. This is only one way to do it of course. Many many ways to cook them. 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Hi54putty said:
    There are many ways to cook ribs. Really the only ways you can mess them up is to take them off to early or forget they are on there all together. I have done both. I have had the best success cooking them at about 275 dome for between 4 and 5 hours. Once I put them on I don't touch the Egg until the 4 hour mark. After that, check as needed until done. Sauce last 30 minutes if you want to.
    Couldn't agree more. I like doing mine low n slow till they pass the bend test. Mom does hers at 350+ dome bone side down till they are showing 1/4" of bone. Two completely different ways and yet they both taste moist and juicy.... But if you go with higher temps be sure to use rubs with less sugar as it will tend to burn.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    When doing the Turbo method, are the ribs still supposed to pass the "bend test" ?
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215

odie91 said:
    When doing the Turbo method, are the ribs still supposed to pass the "bend test" ?
    They do for me. That is one way I test them out.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited September 2012
    However you like to test for doneness it will be the same for turbo method. I have not done slow method since trying turbo. I enjoy egging, but have plenty of other things to do with the extra 3 hours. The only difference I have seen is maybe a little less smoke flavor for equivalent amounts of wood.
    George
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    gte1 said:
    However you like to test for doneness it will be the same for turbo method. I have not done slow method since trying turbo. I enjoy egging, but have plenty of other things to do with the extra 3 hours. The only difference I have seen is maybe a little less smoke flavor for equivalent amounts of wood.
    One solution I think helps the less smoke at higher temps is to increase the amount of lump. When doing turbo butts I will fill with lump to the platesetter with my chunks placed through out the lump.... I think it helps keep the amount of hot coals down allowing the chunks to smolder instead of burn.
  • Well, here's how we're fixing the ribs today... suggested to me by a friend so we'll see. Cooking at 250-275 bone side down for 1 hour then bone side up for 1 hour. Then I'll wrap each rack in foil, stand them in the rib rack, and cook in the foil for 1 1/2 hour. Last we'll put them back on the grill with BBQ Sauce... I'm guessing for just a few minutes on each side. I'll let you all know how they turn out.
  • 350 dome, I like to use peach wood, usually 4 chunks, placestter legs up drip pan with apple juice.  Remove membrane from the ribs, mustard and add your favorite rub.  Put ribs back in frig while egg gets to temp.

Place ribs on grid bone side down for 1 hour, spray with apple juice at 20 - 30 min mark.  After 1 hour, turn bone side up.  Spray with apple juice at 20 -30 min mark.  Sauce and enjoy some fine turbo style ribs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Oh, my. I have to say... Geaux Tigers (although maybe not so much this year) See you in the swamp next week.

I'm a bit slot to log back in here... We fixed the ribs last weekend just like I mentioned at the beginning of this post...

Gotta say, I think I like them better low & slow. Don't know if it was just the quality of the ribs that I got, or what; but I'm thinking cooking them that way actually cooks more of the fat out of the ribs. I love my ribs, but I'm not a real fan of biting in to a hunk of fat.

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I use bobby flay's rib rib. Smoke with pecan and cherry at 225 for four hours. Pull the daisy and open the door and start spraying with equal parts apple vinager, apple juice and jack every 20 minutes (flip each time) for the next hour. Pull and foil for 20 minutes. No sauce needed.
    When in doubt add more pepper.