Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waterproofing the Stoker: My Setup

chrisnjenn
chrisnjenn Posts: 534
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
A few have asked to see a setup that essentially waterproofs the Stoker (it would work with the other systems as well).  I copied this from another Egger on another forum (forgot which one) a few years ago.  This setup has seen a lot of bad weather and not a drop of water has ever gotten into it.  As you can see from the lid on the plastic box, I put another larger lid on top of that for double protection (anal like that) and a brick just in case there are strong winds (probably being over protective as usual). The cup you see covering the fan is just any regular type plastic cup with cuts made to go over the fan to protect it from the elements.  I'm sure people with better skills can come up with a better design, but this one works for us.

I have used my Stoker at home for over 2 years and have used it at every BBQ competition my team enters.  One Stoker controls multiple pits which is great for us.  It has worked flawlessly and given us much needed sleep instead of babysitting sitting the pits overnight.

Well here are the pics to my setup.

Comments

• Here are the rest of the pictures.  Took some time to upload to the board.
  • I have the control unit in a much smaller container and just cut a hole in the bottom.  Your set up is a little more sophisticated.

Gerhard
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just put it in a bag.  I cooked two butts through hurricane Isaac.  Turn the fan so the intake is facing down.

• Initially I did the same thing with a simple plastic bag until a few guys in comps had problems with their Gurus and Stokers getting moisture in it. So I made the one above to make 100% sure it was safe. But whatever works for you. I just know what they told me.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm under a cover, but I get some wind-blown rain, especially during that hurricane.  The probes jacks and ends are the most susceptible to moisture - it changes the conductivity and can bias the temperature low.
  • Initially I did the same thing with a simple plastic bag until a few guys in comps had problems with their Gurus and Stokers getting moisture in it. So I made the one above to make 100% sure it was safe. But whatever works for you. I just know what they told me.

I just got my Egg 2 weeks ago and bought a Stoker system yesterday. Can't wait to get it. Thank you so much for taking the time to show us how to waterproof it. I was worried about that. I can trust my Stoker will be safe in something as durable as that. Plastic bag might work, but I wouldn't trust it.
  • EggerinLA said:
    Initially I did the same thing with a simple plastic bag until a few guys in comps had problems with their Gurus and Stokers getting moisture in it. So I made the one above to make 100% sure it was safe. But whatever works for you. I just know what they told me.

I just got my Egg 2 weeks ago and bought a Stoker system yesterday. Can't wait to get it. Thank you so much for taking the time to show us how to waterproof it. I was worried about that. I can trust my Stoker will be safe in something as durable as that. Plastic bag might work, but I wouldn't trust it.

Thanks for recognizing that. Seems.... never mind. Thank you for saying thank you when someone takes the time to help others. Guess if I made a thread about brisket or chicken wings there would be 100 responses. Doesn't matter. You will love your new Egg. Listen I got a Woo setup I bought from ceramicgrillstore.com that I never use anymore in prestine shape. I use the adj rig for everything. Send me a PM and I will mail it to you for free along with some rubs and sauces I have recommended to others and we use in competitions.
  • Great set up for waterproofing the electronics.  Sorry about your Razorbacks, Go Gators.  K, bye, good night.
  • EggerinLA said:
    Initially I did the same thing with a simple plastic bag until a few guys in comps had problems with their Gurus and Stokers getting moisture in it. So I made the one above to make 100% sure it was safe. But whatever works for you. I just know what they told me.

Thanks for recognizing that. Seems.... never mind. Thank you for saying thank you when someone takes the time to help others. Guess if I made a thread about brisket or chicken wings there would be 100 responses. Doesn't matter. You will love your new Egg. Listen I got a Woo setup I bought from ceramicgrillstore.com that I never use anymore in prestine shape. I use the adj rig for everything. Send me a PM and I will mail it to you for free along with some rubs and sauces I have recommended to others and we use in competitions.

Thank you so much. You didnt have to do that. I sent you a message in return here and at that other site you mentioned.
  • I don't use digi-Q etc, but my Maverick has been through tropical storm hell.  My friends have a joke that whenever I fire up my Egg, it rains buckets.  They want me to drive around with it through drought areas...

...Anyway, good ideas for waterproofing.  I simply wrap my base unit in a plastic grocery bag.  Not very reliable, but it's worked well so far!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Okay question about these systems, it seems the DigiQ is the most expensive, is it the best stoker system available?

And is it water proof? or do you have to do something like you did for the DigiQ, thinking about making the investment...

Thanks!
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio