Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

where do you clip your temp probe ?

fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
For you guys running temperature controlers. Where do you clip your temp probe. It would make sense to me to clip it to the grid and ignore the dome temp., but I'm just thinking.

Comments

• fairchase said:
     It would make sense to me to clip it to the grid and ignore the dome temp., but I'm just thinking.
    Exactly what I do.  I use the dome thermometer as a general guideline to make sure my "grid level" thermometer is working properly.  Clip it to the grid so you're measuring temp "where the meat is".
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390

fairchase said:
     It would make sense to me to clip it to the grid and ignore the dome temp., but I'm just thinking.
    Exactly what I do.  I use the dome thermometer as a general guideline to make sure my "grid level" thermometer is working properly.  Clip it to the grid so you're measuring temp "where the meat is".
    +1
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

• fairchase said:
    Further, if you are using a setter, clip it over, close to one of the setter legs. In other words protect it from coals by part of the setter, avoids (minimizes) spikes due to lump directly under the probe igniting. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I take a wooden skewer, break it off to about a 3" to 4" stick, and stick it in the meat I'm cooking, then clip the skewer to it.  My thought is that it gives me an accurate temp as close to the meat as possible without the meat temp (usually cold when put on the Egg) affecting it too much.  I have a hard time getting it to clip to the grate and stay.  I've run it through the daisy wheel, but it messes up when the lid gets open and closed. 
  • I have used my CI grate during a butt cook and couldn't clip to the grate.  I clipped it to the oven thermometer I use sometimes and set it on the grate.  It was dandy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    I usually clip it as close to the meat as possible.  If using the platesetter, I clip it away from the edges.  Below is a pic from this weekend.  Beef tenderloin, curled up a bit with the clip right in the middle.

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I clip it over one of the front plate setter legs on the grate, maybe 2 inches from whatever I'm cooking.  Don't want it too close to the meat or it'll influence the temp low.  Don't want it over direct heat or it'll influence it high.  Want to keep it away from the very back where it'll influence it high.
  • i try to stay a couple inches from the meat, and make sure something is under it. It's funny. If i set my ique to 250, the dome will read low initially, about 6 hours in the dome's equalized to the grate. At least in my egg.
  • I put it in my left shoe.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!