Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regret the large vs XL? and thoughts on sale pricing...

Options
jimreed777
jimreed777 Posts: 324
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Need opinions here...

I am egging 3-4 days a week since grabbing a medium off CL a few months ago. Pizza, a slew of butts, ribs, lots of chicken, burgers...just going nuts. I have a pretty sweet Sous Vide setup now too. You people are very willing egg-nablers. :)

My neighbor/friend who has been searching CL for a while and gave a standing offer to buy my medium, shows up yesterday with the newspaper ad for a local BGE dealer.

Local BGE dealer running special:
Buy medium for $650 and get a large
Buy a large for $860 and get an XL

We came to an arrangement...he buys my medium and nest and platesetter and grid for $450 and I buy a medium for $650 and get my large. I bought the medium on CL for $400 and bought the plate setter and a flimsy SS grid with swinging legs from ace for another $90 or so. I would have just said $400...but I will need to buy a large platesetter and I am putting another $35 nomex gasket on it today that I already bought. With that in mind, we are both pleased with the $450 price.

I had my custom table cut for a large when it was built last month. I knew all along that I was going to upgrade at some point.

I am heading over this afternoon to the dealer.

First Question:
Is $650 a good price for a LBGE?

Second Question:
Should I go ahead with the large...or, buy the XL for $860??????????????????

I haven't had the heart to check the possibility of making the hole bigger in my table. I am pretty sure that the large will meet 100% of my needs. 

However, you guys are great at spending other people's money...so I thought I would ask here to see if any large owners regretted their decision and wished they had bought the XL instead.

It is just me, wife and two kids for most cooks.

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    It's just me and my husband plus on weekends my stepson. I never even considered an XL. In a year of use, I haven't even needed an extra grill on my large. I've cooked 18 lbs. of butt on the single grid and four racks of ribs. On the other end, though, we also got a mini, and we use that for our everyday cooks. 

And the price is great. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited September 2012
    Options

For that price and since you don't have a large already, (to share accessories) I would get the XL.  Good price on that from your dealer.

Regrets?  None at all. I regretted buying the xl in the first place. Sold it for what I bought it for and got a large with Tom's adj rig toys and much happier.  Guess I'm the odd ball.  Plus I compete and taking my large is easy to competitions (we use my large for our chicken--Lang for everything else).

This site is extremely pro-xl so that is what they will tell you.  In my experience, I didn't like it. 

• jimreed777
    Options
    I think I have a sickness...thanks BGE
  • Fouker187
    Options

I got the large with no regrets.  My family is 3 strong and we cook about 5 days a week on the egg.  About once a month I think to myself "I wish I would have got the XL".  Considering the cost difference and the very few times I think I need more space I feel like I made the right choice.

650 seems like a good price for the Lrg.  Someone just posted what they retail for.  Can't remember what that was.

• calracefan
    Options

I have a large, wanted a XL, the dealer talked me into Large. I have filled the grill a couple of times, but for the most part it is big enough. An adjustable rig or swing rack would solve the filling the grill.On a plus side , the large does require as much lump ( this also is curable with a reducing ring on an XL). I think either way you go you will be very happy, and those are pretty good prices from what I paid for my large in July (in the Mid West). Good Luck and Happy Shopping !

PS

Get a pletesetter when you buy !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • jimreed777
    Options
    ok - ok - backing away from the ledge - good feedback so far...thanks guys
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    I have an XL and not once have I regretted purchasing the largest model. I cook on it nearly every day of the week.

I never even considered anything smaller - My motto in life - Buy once, buy right! Never wanted to say to myself "boy I wish I would have gotten a bigger egg". I can cook as much food as you can throw at me! Recently I've been doing zone cooks, where I move all the lump to one corner, and cook off that for smaller meals. It really has extended my lump longevity.

Now, I would love a small for camping, tailgating, ect, but for all my cooks I've very pleased with the large.
  • troutgeek
    Options
    The only time I think I regret getting a large over an XL, is when other people say I should have gotten an XL. I love my large, and I recently bought a small. That, to me, is a better setup. To each there own. I have a Traeger too, and often have three different zones for cooking. That said, maybe you should also keep your medium?
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You're right, 1 medium is not enough. I have 2. A medium will easily cook for 2 or 3, but get awkward above 4.

From what I've been reading, lots of people are paying 650 for a medium, and I've seen a fair number of people pay 1000 for a large. So, yeah, seems like a great price.

Here's my opinion. If I had an XL, I doubt that I would need its capacity more than 3 - 4 times a year. If I had one, I'm sure I'd be using the lump reduction ring to build smaller fires in it most of the time.

A few years back, there were a number of long discussions about what was better, and XL or an L & a S. More people thought the combo was the most versatile choice, and left some money for more accessories.

The people who went for the XLs often said they used them for catering, or parties up to 40.
  • jimreed777
    Options
    Damn you Mr. Burns. A pox on you and your motto. 

"Happy you are. Buyer's remorse you have not" - The original green egger, Yoda

I was hoping for a consensus. rats.
  • pmckinney4
    Options
    I considered an XL when I purchased my L in the spring.   The large has been for the most part sufficient for my family of 4.  

Keep in mind 2 things about the extra space:

1.) If you buy the truck (xl) it is going to take more fuel to run it, even if you are just grilling a couple hot dogs.

2.) If you decide the large isn't big enough you can always add another large or medium, then you will have the extra space when you need it and have the ability to cook at two different temps.

I have been keeping my eye on Craigslist for a medium, but haven't seen any great deals.   My wife is still dealing with the sticker shock of my first one (Large for $675...which was a good deal) so I will probably need to wait until next year to add another one to the family.

Regardless, I probably wouldn't get a plate setter again.   I would probably opt to go with the woo or one of the options available at http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/
  • jimreed777
    Options
    gdenby said:
    A few years back, there were a number of long discussions about what was better, and XL or an L & a S. More people thought the combo was the most versatile choice, and left some money for more accessories.

Considering that most of the year I would never use the XL capacity...it would very much be like using a sledgehammer to drive finishing nails.

I guess the combo wouldn't be the worst thing if I continually run into space issues. I like the idea of two cooking temps for a low-slo on one and pizza on the other...
  • jimreed777
    Options
    I considered an XL when I purchased my L in the spring.   The large has been for the most part sufficient for my family of 4.  

Keep in mind 2 things about the extra space:

1.) If you buy the truck (xl) it is going to take more fuel to run it, even if you are just grilling a couple hot dogs.

2.) If you decide the large isn't big enough you can always add another large or medium, then you will have the extra space when you need it and have the ability to cook at two different temps.

I have been keeping my eye on Craigslist for a medium, but haven't seen any great deals.   My wife is still dealing with the sticker shock of my first one (Large for $675...which was a good deal) so I will probably need to wait until next year to add another one to the family.

Regardless, I probably wouldn't get a plate setter again.   I would probably opt to go with the woo or one of the options available at http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/
    LOL - I have both the CGW and CGS tabs open and I am debating whether the swing away or adjustable would be better and what kind of price I am looking at to outfit the large or XL.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    XL nuff said
    Lynnwood WA
  • 92Egghead
    Options
    Don't care for the xl at all. I have both and love the functionality of the large vs the cumbersome xl. Sure you will be happy winter way but a large is much more practical.
  • txbbq
    txbbq Posts: 16
    Options
    I have a large and paid around 850 (full retail) for it. 650 is a great price. I dont regret the large at all. If I need more space I would supplement with a small/med. Typically I would be smoking and grilling at the same time so would want two sep eggs.
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    With the prices you quoted, XL for sure.  I have never regretted buying XL especially when we have neighborhood get togethers and all the hungry local teenagers are here, or my kids and their husbands and their kids.  No problem to throw a few extras on with the acreage available on the XL.  The accessories are a bit more expensive, but you don't HAVE to buy the XL pizza stone as the large will work just fine for less $$.  I made a charcoal ring to reduce waste when it is just the wife and I, but the BGE is still fuel efficient as you already know. Until this thread, I had never heard of anyone going from an XL to a L, but have heard and read of some buyers remorse of getting a L and wishing for an XL later.  I guess you need to let your budget be your guide in this case.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I have an XL and thoroughly love it.  I'm not burning thru lump and love the cooking space.

It's just me, the wife, and two kids.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    One more +1 vote for the XL.  Love the space for large cooks.  The *incremental* cost of additional lump is minimal compared to the large.  Get the best, and cry only once. 

I will graciously disagree with pmckinney4.  A platesetter is essential IMHO.  Indirect roasting, low/slow smokes,I can't live without it.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • jimreed777
    Options
    Damn you XL people. Why can't you just be miserable and wishing you could get someone to buy your XL so you could downgrade to a Large????

My beautiful table won't accommodate an XL. Sigh.

Sale ends today...decisions decisions.
  • calracefan
    Options
    If you are already use to the medium , won't the large seem really big ? If you already have a table built , go Large . You can always add multi tier grills for more room ! Don't let the sale pass you by !The money you are saving can buy some toys for your new egg !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • chrisnjenn
    edited September 2012
    Options
    DonWW said:
    Get the best, and cry only once. 

That is why my BBQ team has ordered a Jambo J-3 last week to compete with next year (we are on a waiting list). Pic below.  http://www.jambopits.com/

Heck the BGE isn't even the best Kamado in the world.  The one below is.  Guess we are all crying then. http://www.komodokamado.com/index.php

• Hoppy & Hoppette
    Options

There was a big difference in price when I purchased my large egg six years ago, so I went with the $600.00 large over the $950.00 XL.

Never regretted not getting the XL for all the smoking I do for my family of five.

As they say "To each their own"  ......but I can see the value of the XL if I had a larger family.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,742
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • chrisnjenn
    edited September 2012
    Options

Guess you conveniently didn't mention the FACT that the link you posted was from a TOTALLY different company that is out of business (Richard Johnson is done).

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story, huh?

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I love my XLs and can easily control lump usage.  Very few people have ever regretted the XL but lots more have wished they went bigger than large. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• jimreed777
    Options
    If you are already use to the medium , won't the large seem really big ? If you already have a table built , go Large . You can always add multi tier grills for more room ! Don't let the sale pass you by !The money you are saving can buy some toys for your new egg !
    I like your logic...
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Get the large and cut another hole in your new table for a small.

Also, if your friend needs a used car I have 2 available. Please send him my way.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • jimreed777
    Options
    DonWW said:
    Get the best, and cry only once. 

That is why my BBQ team has ordered a Jambo J-3 last week to compete with next year (we are on a waiting list). Pic below.  http://www.jambopits.com/

Heck the BGE isn't even the best Kamado in the world.  The one below is.  Guess we are all crying then. http://www.komodokamado.com/index.php

Damn, those are pretty.

Bookedmarked for when I win the Lottery.

note to self...play lottery
  • benny
    benny Posts: 109
    Options

buy them both!!.  I have a large (over 7 years) and an Xl (almost 2 years). I like them both.

the xl for the extra room...and convenience of not having to make the cook fit......but two types of cooks I specifically like the xl ( and if i could only have one egg why Id go with the xl) is that I can smoke a whole packer brisket with it laying flat , and for doing pizza.  I like the room and extra area around the stone , i get better consistent crust on the xl, with less effort.

Final reason , is if I'm cooking for a group of people I can get more butts in the xl , grill more steaks etc. I recently got rid of my big steel smoker....and my wife said "why get rid of it what if you need to cook for a really big gorup....I said I'm done with that but if I do....I'll get another xl and be fine" good luck.......

P.S. the BBQ guru is what every egg man needs for christmas.....or birthday, or fun