Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HH's Table - FINALLY done!! (w/ some "Egg-o-vative" design elements)!!

Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Howdy,

So I FINALLY finished my Egg table!!!!  Even though it took me forever-and-a-day to complete, I'm pretty satisfied w/ it!!  Let me be the first to say that my woodworking skills PALE in comparison to many of you, and so I'm not even gonna try to play that up.  But what I did was try to take into account the most common issues & problems folks seem to face when cooking on the Egg and tried to incorporate some "fixes" or work-arounds to those issues.  

Basically, I started w/ the "original" plans most folks use, and modified them quite a bit to suit my needs.  As you can see in the pics and the video, I tried to make as much storage as I could, as well as figure out a way to deal w/ hot accessories such as plate setters, pizza stones, cooking grids, etc. I also tried to use as many "Commercial Off-the-Shelf"  (COTS) items as possible, and I also wanted any of the "custom" things to be easy enough such that anyone w/ a cursory "do-it-yourself" skill level and the most basic of tools could replicate it.  

The wood is CA Redwood stained w/ an oil-based redwood colored sealant / protectant called "Preservawood."  The top level is 24"x24"x3/8" Travertine tile (w/ tile sealant applied).  Surrounding the tile is an "L" shaped corner trim, which I found at a custom home-remodeling place.  Because the trim fits flush against the tile both horizontally & vertically around it, I think it makes it look "built-in."

On the original plans that most folks seem to use & modify, I didn't like that there was what I considered "wasted space" below the level where the Egg sat (where the legs are).  So, I made another level down there, and added sliding drawers for storage.  I also noticed that the area(s) where the legs connect w/ the outside frame of the table form sort of a "pocket" of storage area that is usually wasted.  So what I did was come up w/ a way to incorporate that area into storage - on the Left-hand-side I added hooks to allow for storage of long things (ie, spatulas, tongs, etc).  On the Right-hand-side, I added a "bottom" to form sort of a little "cubby hole" to store smaller things such as spices, etc.  To access both of these areas, I sourced out some high-end spring-loaded touch-latches (think of the latches that are typically used to allow you to push open & closed a glass door on an entertainment center).  These latches are like that, except on steroids.  The cheapo ones just didn't have enough spring force to push the tile "lids" up.  

Also, I noticed another problem we all face is "what do I do w/ accessories which have been in the Egg and are already hot, but I need to take them out to change cooking setups, add more lump, etc?"  So, for the cooking grids, I made a couple places where I could hang hot grids.  Also, for the plate setter and/or pizza stone, I took a bicycle hanging rack and mounted it to the side of the table, so that I could just pull it down when needed and set the hot stones on it.  

If anyone wants to try to replicate any of the things I did, let me know & I'll try to give as much detail and/or answer whatever questions you may have.  What I'd really like to see is if someone w/ some REAL woodworking ability can take some of my ideas & incorporate it into a NICE table!! hehe... 

Anyway, hopefully I didn't bore anyone to death w/ my long-winded "Egg-splanations!!"  

ENJOY!!
HH
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited September 2012

VIDEO:  HH-Egg-TABLE

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I dig it. So many things to like. I especially like you choice of wood. Redwood has worked well for me. A joy of living out here is the redwood is somewhat affordable. Props to you for all the nifty ideas, it is the swiss army knife of egg tables.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    nice job!  any chance you can post some pics of your "hot" items being hung up and what it would look like... i thought about adding something like that to my table but didnt- kind of regretting it but maybe i can add the aftermarket anyways:)
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Are you left handed? That thing needs 'running lights'. Seriously! Like to know how the 'ash slide' works out.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    The ash slide worries me.  The way it sticks out...it's only a matter of time before you slice your leg on it.
  • Great Job.  I bought a nest but am already planning on building a table.  

Cheers
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    njl said:
    The ash slide worries me.  The way it sticks out...it's only a matter of time before you slice your leg on it.

That was my thought too, other than that it looks good.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• That table is very inovative. Love it very nice! Are you in the Bay area?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • HH - That is a Monster Table!  I agree with Steve that you need running lights!  Great Job!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Some great ideas there!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• What's under the top as I see hinges, are you hiding something you don't want us to see, haha. Is that where you say you keep your spices and utensils. Very nice.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited September 2012
    hahahaha... thanks guys!!  

BTW, the ash shoot sticks out no further than the handle on the sliding drawer - so if I'm gonna run into the ash shoot, I'm gonna knock into the handle first!! hehe  :((  

Also, I folded over the edges on every other edge, and I'm gonna fold over the edges on the outermost edges as well (the only reason I didn't in the first place is because I wasn't sure if it was gonna be too short or not - now that I know it's long enough to hang over the side of the table, I've got some extra material so that I can fold it over & make the edges rounded).  

As far as what's under the top hinges, as well as how I hang my "hot" items - check out the video I made - I figured it'd be easier to show everything in a video than trying to take a bunch of pics & writing a whole bunch of stuff to 'splain it.  :D

Also, yes, I'm in the Bay Area, and no, not left-handed.  I used the original plans most other folks use - and it did occur to me that the Egg might be better off on the left-hand side of the table - but this was after I had already made the frame (and that was early on in my woodworking learning "egg-sperience" so I didn't wanna go back & re-do something I'd already done).  But I used it a LOT during Labor Day, and it worked out well!!  :-bd

Anyway, thanks for all the comments - it was a lot of work (especially cuz prior to that, I'd never really done any type of woodworking before), but I think it's the way I want it!!  :)

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Great job! I really like the storage compartments built into the top. The plate setter and grate hangers are good ideas I may have to "borrow" for my pergola..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Nice Build Hightech, and you can even post a video. I can't even post a picture.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks great Hightech!

Projects like yours, that you design and build, are much more rewarding than anything you could buy.  Nice innovation.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I had plenty of questions from the pictures, but the video answered pretty much all of them. Love the idea of the hidden compartments with the flip open tops. One question on your holder for the plate setter....that bike rack isn't coated in some type of plastic, is it? Can't tell from the video, but would hate to see the mess is would create if it melted everywhere. Like I said, hard to tell, so that maybe a non issue.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited September 2012

Griffin said:
    I had plenty of questions from the pictures, but the video answered pretty much all of them. Love the idea of the hidden compartments with the flip open tops. One question on your holder for the plate setter....that bike rack isn't coated in some type of plastic, is it? Can't tell from the video, but would hate to see the mess is would create if it melted everywhere. Like I said, hard to tell, so that maybe a non issue.
    hehe - yeah, that's why I did the video - as I said, figured it would be too long-winded to try to 'splain everything via pics & text. 

As far as the bike rack - yeah, it had sort of a "rubbery grippy" surface thingy on it, and I just took a razor knife & split it length-wise & cut that off, then sanded the factory paint down, & repainted w/ a high-heat paint. 

So that, and every other metal piece that would come into contact w/ something hot (aside from the stainless steel ash shoot) has been painted w/ either "Stove Bright" (a high-temp paint) or another brand of high-temp paint. 

FWIW, I do NOT like the other brand, and eventually will sand down those parts that are painted w/ it & repaint w/ the Stove Bright.  Reason being, the other brand of paint is ALREADY starting to peel / chip off, and it's only seen 3 uses since I've gotten it completed!! 

I used Stove Bright on the steel square-channels I used to sit the Egg on, and those are working flawlessly!! 

P.S.  Also, any pieces that you see where something metal is attached to the wood or tile, (and that couldn't be screwed on), I used JB Weld for that, and it is holding up quite nicely.  I also used JB Weld to adhere the hinges to the tile, as I felt the screws in the tile would eventually wallow out.  I spread JB Weld onto the back side of the hinge, then applied it to the screws, then "screwed" the screws into the holes I drilled into the tile (used a Roto-Zip "X-treme" bit to drill the holes in the tile - worked very well)!!

HTH,
    HH
  • Solson005 said:
    Great job! I really like the storage compartments built into the top. The plate setter and grate hangers are good ideas I may have to "borrow" for my pergola..
    I just clicked on your post about your work area & I've got to say - your outdoor cooking area is magnificent!!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited September 2012
    Very jealous. Looks great and functional
    heh... nothing to be "jealous" of, believe me - if I can do it, anyone can!!  The only tools I used were a table / circular saw (w/ miter cutting capability), a Dremel w/ misc bits / cutting / grinding attachments, a multi-master type tool, drill / screwdrivers, sanding blocks / sandpaper, and the best stuff since sliced bread, JB Weld!!   

Technically, some of the things I used the multi-master for could've been done w/out it, but it sure did make it easier!! 

So I figure most folks have at least some type of saw (either circular, or table, or both), and a Dremel is really a "must have" for small cutting, grinding, etc operations - so it could all be done w/ the tools most folks already have. 

Sure, along the way, I picked up other tools (usually AFTER I had done what I needed them for), and there are still other tools that I NOW know about that I'll get if I ever do anything like that again - cuz one thing I learned is that the right tool sure makes the job easier!!

One of these days I hope to be able to do "finish" carpentry like Nolaegghead, ETBee, & some others - ONE of these days!! heh

HTH,
    HH
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Cool table with go go gadget hidden areas - way too cool - congrats!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Solson005 said:
    I just clicked on your post about your work area & I've got to say - your outdoor cooking area is magnificent!!
    Thank you, it has been long in the making but came together quite well!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks great HH!  Clearly put a lot of thought into it.  Job well done!   =D>
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:
    Looks great HH!  Clearly put a lot of thought into it.  Job well done!   =D>
    Thanks Cazzy - now I got a place to where I can try to replicate your incredible wing recipe!!!