Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold butt

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone, for a good reason and with a good result, put a partially frozen butt on the egg? I am cooking 4 butts tomorrow and 3 are still somewhat frozen.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Yes well No, but mom did one (picnic shoulder) last week that suffered no consequence. It was slightly frozen in the center.  I have also seen others that put fully frozen meats on the egg with claiming only a slight difference in completion time. Fully frozen won't hold rub, so you would have to rub after cooking begins.

You're in great shape. Enjoy your cook!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,402
    Options
    +1 with Brownie-should be no issues-enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I let a butt thaw just enough to let the outside accept rub. My thought was that I could possibly prolong the time it takes to reach 140 internal to increase my smoke ring.

The result was good news/bad news. In the end it took almost the same amount of time to cook. Bad news, no increase in smoke ring. Good news, I can take a butt right out of the freezer and put it in the Egg with no worries.

Don't know if I would try it with Turbo but no issues with low and slow.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Philicious
    Options
    Well, they were mostly thawed and I had them in the inside fridge overnight.  I got up at 5 and took them out.  Just put them on.  Man, it is harder than I thought to fit 4 butts on a large.  Will post pics under a new topic later.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.