Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi temp mitts

GK59
GK59 Posts: 501
edited September 2012 in Off Topic

Well after burning my digits a few times I had enough. Removing the platesetter and or pizza stone is to darn HOT using some welding gloves.

I broke down and bought a pair of hi-temp mitts from Graingers(under $50). They are rated to 2000*. Let hope so.

I'll give them a go this weekend and send some feed back.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

Comments

• I've been looking but haven't had the stomach to pay for them yet.  I can tell you that those $8 welding gloves from Harbor Frieght have left a welt or two on my digits and my wife may or may not be thrilled with all of the black marks on her kitchen oven mitts.
  • I bought a pair of those silicon gloves, look like coloured plastic and they seem to do the job.

Gerhard

• Bought some from Tom @ ceramic grill store, and they are great. I think they were $16-$17. He told me he tested like 25 different brands before settling on these. And they work great for me.
  • GK 59, I went poking around on Grainger and saw 16 different gloves that can handle 2K worth of heat.  Irony you bring this up, I was doing a clean on my egg on Tuesday and I used my welding gloves to grab the plate setter... as I was QUICKLY placing the 550 degree Platesetter on the ground I dropped it and its in two pieces now.... now Im going to pick up some better gloves.  Can you give some feed back on gloves and which model did you buy... interesting to see some of the gloves there are $225.  I could go up to $100 I suppose.  Thanks!

BGE Large... Go get 'em! "Cant means you haven't tried."

Tulsa, OK

• I'm interested... Do report back.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Best ones I ever had were the firefighter's gloves. Grease and weather finally put an end to those. In lookin on firefighting equipment websites they are north of 100 a pair.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GK59

A bit more info.

The welders gloves I have came from JJ's Backyard Eggfest in IN(Broadripple),$20. I was told they could handle the heat of a PS. Wrong.

In talking with Bruce at BGE, the way I understood him was if the lump is 1200 or 1500* the PS could be near that same temp. Someone with a infrared could give some insight and verify.I would have to think the PS is much hotter then the dome temp shows.

I to looked at some ff gloves and the rating was only for a few seconds at lets say 1000*.

These mitts are big, a one size fits all.About the size of a small catchers mitt. May be kind of awkward until broken in.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Best ones I ever had were the firefighter's gloves. Grease and weather finally put an end to those. In lookin on firefighting equipment websites they are north of 100 a pair.

+1 with LS here-I use "retired (did the volunteer FF gig for many years) firefighter gloves" and they are great.  I have a back-up pair when these succumb to the abuse and grease but I would visit your local fire house and ask where they get theirs. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Just a silly question here but why do you need to remove the plate setter when it is that hot?

Gerhard
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Just get some ove gloves or Pitt mitts. Both give you like 10 seconds with a 500 degree plate setter. I have picked the glowing coals out of m
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have picked the glowing coals up out of my mini with Pitt mitts.
  • GK59

I had cooked a few things indirect and needed to remove to sear some ribeyes.

Also made pizzas then had to have s'mores and marshmallows for the girls

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I. Have Ove glove and they work well but I am with Gerhardk, Why the need to be touching hot plate setters?
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    jhl192 said:
    I. Have Ove glove and they work well but I am with Gerhardk, Why the need to be touching hot plate setters?

Hot platesetter removal occurs when shifting from indirect and usually a lower temp (250-300*F+/-) cook to direct for some other recipe.  If doing multiple cooks I gnerally start with the lowest temp cook first and then move on up-much easier to raise BGE temp than to lower it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GK59

Ok here's the story.

I just brought in my 1st every homemade pie(apple). I used only the mitts to bring the CI pie plate in to the house. It was about 425* . Fingers warm . Went back to move the PS. Mitts only, dome was still at 425* Grabbed on to PS which I held on to for about 10 seconds , but the heat from the lump was starting to heat up my forearms. I ended putting on my gauntlet gloves and then the mitts.I removed the plates and held just above the concrete just in case.Held for maybe 20 seconds. They did what I wanted so here I type with no BLISTERS!

I'm happy.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI