Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long have you owned your EGG and other info?

2»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Not trying to hijack but since some people have had their Eggs for awhile hopefully they can answer: how long should an egg last? No cover, left outside. I know grates may need replaced but I have 0 concerns about it being moved so no risk of damage there. How long should this large last before needs to be replaced?
    Longer than you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Not trying to hijack but since some people have had their Eggs for awhile hopefully they can answer: how long should an egg last? No cover, left outside. I know grates may need replaced but I have 0 concerns about it being moved so no risk of damage there. How long should this large last before needs to be replaced?
    Longer than you.

Really? I can to reasonably expect it to last 40+ years? If so, amazing.
    Boom
  • Hoppy & Hoppette
    Hoppy & Hoppette Posts: 38
    edited September 2012

I have read that the LBGE can last 30 + years with a minimal amount of care.

Mine is nearly 7 years old and still works like the day I bought it.

All I have had to replace so far is the lump coal.

OOOPS: I forgot to mention I replaced the gaskets twice.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2012
    Mickey said:
    Longer than you.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE BIG GREEN EGG LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

1. THE BIG GREEN EGG: Each Big Green Egg® ceramic cooker (XLarge, Large, Medium, Small and Mini) carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty for materials and workmanship on all ceramic components (including dome, base, damper top, fire box and fire ring) to the original purchaser or owner who has purchased the product from an Authorized Dealer (the “Warranty”) and has registered their Warranty as required. This Warranty is valid for as long as the original purchaser owns the EGG® or covered component, except for other ceramic, metal and wood components which are covered as explained below. This warranty is in addition to and does not affect your statutory rights.
    PS: Wish I had 40+ years

^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    coming up on a year of owning an XL.  Nest, Ash tool, and eggmate shelves from BGE.  Woo2 with a stone, 18" CI grate and a thermapen.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mickey said:
    Mickey said:
    Longer than you.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE BIG GREEN EGG LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

1. THE BIG GREEN EGG: Each Big Green Egg® ceramic cooker (XLarge, Large, Medium, Small and Mini) carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty for materials and workmanship on all ceramic components (including dome, base, damper top, fire box and fire ring) to the original purchaser or owner who has purchased the product from an Authorized Dealer (the “Warranty”) and has registered their Warranty as required. This Warranty is valid for as long as the original purchaser owns the EGG® or covered component, except for other ceramic, metal and wood components which are covered as explained below. This warranty is in addition to and does not affect your statutory rights.
    PS: Wish I had 40+ years

^:)^

Nice! And I probably have at least 40, just turned 27 in Aug ha
    Boom
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited September 2012

I have a large and small Egg.  I owned them for going on 3 years.  Everyone has their hobbies and the Big Green Egg/BBQing is one of my main ones.  I also love to try new products.

Here is a list of Egg toys I have (I'm sure I forgot some things).

Stoker (love it)

Splash-proof Thermapen (Yellow)

Maverick ET-732

Custom handle (Mike's dad custom made it for me--Awesome work)

Custom gridlifter by LawnRanger (I love this tool)

High Que Fire Grate

Adjustable Rig

Spider

Pizza stone (13" and 16")

Half pizza stone (to cook direct and indirect at the same time)

Large oval stone (great for when I cook ribs)

Sliding grid system (3 tiers)(Ceramic Grill Store--great place to buy Egg accessories--I bought a lot I recommended on this post from them)

Rack Extender (which allows me to add another tier)

Small cast iron grid for spider (great for getting steaks close to the lump to sear)

Stainless steel grid

Wok

Grill Grates (love these)

New Tel-Tru Big Green Egg Temperature Gauge

Third hand

Wiggle rod

Frogmats

Various BBQ tools (too many to list)

MAPP torch

Cast Iron Ovens, Pots, and Skillets

I have more, but that is what I can think of right now. I use everything and love them all. I always research what other Eggers have used and get their recommendations.

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited September 2012
    Large for 1 year now and I'm obsessed. Adjustable Rig w/ sliders and stone, spider, 13" cast iron grid, wok, Thermapen, platesetter, pizza stone, ash tool, high que fire grate,grid lifters x2, welders gloves, nest, nest-mates
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Large for about 5 years. It sees a lot of use.  We're light on add-ons except a broken plate setter,which I patch with JB Weld when the mood strikes.  Also have 7 split fire bricks (about $1 each) and a Weber 18" grate.  Tom will get an AR order from me sooner or later. Grid lifter, ash tool, pizza stone.  On 2nd gasket. Went without for a while but felt something missing.  Nomex has held up well.  No cover and the egg has sat quietly through blizzards and tropical storms without complaint. Storms are usually a good excuse to get it lit, especially if a power outage is imminent.  Finally, a Thermapen - possibly the best accessory to have.
    Mamaroneck
  • Mama, your cartoon cracks me up!

:))
    Flint, Michigan
  • thanks - cribbed from The New Yorker
    Mamaroneck
  • I looked for the receipt and can’t find it. A year? More? I don’t know. I just don’t know. I do remember it was a nice day when I picked it up from the mega-Q store. The unhelpful dunces there were able to load the boxes on the truck. Since then it’s been a blur. It’s LOVE but with a lifetime warranty and Wife is OK with it too.  Tomorrow I have a date with a duck.  Wife will make the glaze.  It's as good as it can get without being perverse.
    My actuary says I'm dead.