Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making your own firestarters

jhl192
jhl192 Posts: 1,006
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I normally use the BGE Electric Firestarter but the other day it was raining and I thought better to drag out the extention cord.   A small box of BGE firestarters are $6 or $7 and it seems like they are just sawdust and parafin wax.  Does anybody on the forum make their own or have a better source.  I would like to place 3 or 4 around the charcoal pit and get a more distributed burn in lass time.  Any ideas?  I used my weber chimney starter the other day and that worked good but does not really fit too well.   
XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    if you want to save money on the sawdust wax starters, buy a whole duraflame type log and chip off what you need. even cheaper and already found in your house is paper towell and a very light drizzle of veggie oil
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    A paper towel, with a couple teaspoons of cooking oil, folded in quarters then twisted into a wick. Cheap and works better than the parrafin squares.
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

This is faster 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If I'm in a hurry, I use a heat gun to start a few spots then hit the bottom vent with a gas leaf blower (idle is plenty good).  Pretty nice fire after a few minutes.  Then I have to make sure the deck isn't burning as well.
    :D

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    I have had absolutely no luck with the paper towel and oil.  Does it have to be veggie oil? Is it a very , very light amount of oil, like a fine mist all over the towel, someone help!
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    Too much oil = no burn??? , not enough oil = towel burns to quick??
  • Backpackers make firestarters by soaking cotton balls in vaseline. Might need a couple to fire up an egg. Also, you can fill the compartments of an egg container with drier lint and then poor in melted wax.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    30 weight motor oil.

Just kidding.  I've used plain old veggie oil just until the paper towel was damp.  It worked fine.  I would compare it to a wick from an oil lamp.  Its just burning the oil until its all used up, then the paper burns.
  • The paper towel & oil route has worked perfectly for me.  I can see getting an electric starter tho.
  • I've been using these that I get at Ace Hardware.  They work great.  144 squares for $14.00.  I cut a square in half and start the lump in two places and have yet to have a single issue getting my fire started.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    This may take the discussion down a different path, but I bought a Looft Lighter and have been using it for the past few months.  Very happy with it.  Downside is the $80 ticket price.  Upside is a really quick start.  60 seconds is all it takes for a really nice glow to be generated.  For hot cooks (300+ degrees) I start 3 different spots in the lump.  For low/slow, only one or two.  
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • I like the Diamond Strike-a-Fire sticks. They are $2.09 for 12 at my high-priced grocery store. I break them in half and get 24 starts.

I saw another brand at Wal-Mart, but I haven't tried them yet. I intend to.

Tim
  • KingtUT said:
    I have had absolutely no luck with the paper towel and oil.  Does it have to be veggie oil? Is it a very , very light amount of oil, like a fine mist all over the towel, someone help!
    I tear a full size paper towel in half, put it into a plastic tumbler, and pour a few table spoons of oil on it.  I like it saturated.  I have not had a problem lighting them even when they were dripping in oil.  Sometimes i will need another half sheet to get the fire going.  Veggie oil, canola oil,  any oil will work, as long as it burns (just not motor oil ;) )
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

DonWW said:
    This may take the discussion down a different path, but I bought a Looft Lighter and have been using it for the past few months.  Very happy with it.  Downside is the $80 ticket price.  Upside is a really quick start.  60 seconds is all it takes for a really nice glow to be generated.  For hot cooks (300+ degrees) I start 3 different spots in the lump.  For low/slow, only one or two.  
    This Harbor Freight heat gun works great for starting - 1500 watts, and only $14.  I've used this one and my expensive digital DeWalt heat gun, and the cheaper one works better.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html