Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Science of Brisket: #1 vs. #2 (pic)

Options
DonWW
DonWW Posts: 424
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the forum - very happy to be here!  After reading for a few weeks, one consistent theme is that practice makes perfect.  Fortunately, I had the chance to do two briskets in consecutive weekends.  They were two completely different cooks. 

#1 Brisket.  Went on at about 7:00 PM.  I hit the sack around 11:00 with the internal temp around 135 and grill temp at 225.  I woke up at 5:00 to find the Egg had increased to 260 and the internal temp was already at 215.  I pulled it off and FTC for a few hours.  Net result - tasty (others loved it) but I knew there was another level I could reach.  My bad for not turning on the audible alarm on my unit.

#2 Brisket.  Went on about 7:30 pm.  Prepped Egg by completely cleaning out fire box and starting with fresh lump.  Again, went to sleep at 11:00 with the meat and grill temp about the same as before.  And, again, woke up around 5:00.  Meat at 185 and Egg had dropped to 200 degrees.  A fork test on the flat indicated that the meat was still a little tough, certainly not ready to come off.  Opened up the lower vent a wee bit and went back to sleep.  Brisket finally came off around 10:30 at 197 degrees.  A couple of hours of FTC. 

Brisket #2 was completely different than #1.  15 hours versus 9.5 hours.   #2 was much more tender and juicy.  The true magic for #2 occurred during the last 5 hours when it slowly crept from 185 to 197.  I am not sure why the Egg increased in temp during cook #1 and decreased during cook #2.  During both cooks, the temps had been steady for about an hour before I called it a night. 

Here's a pic of #2.

Glad to be here and participating!
XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• RobBlanchflower
    Options
    I'm a newby wahts "FTC" mean?
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I'm a newby wahts "FTC" mean?
    Put in foil, wrap in towels, put in dry cooler.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I use the Digiq DX2 for lo and slo.  I bit pricey but well worth it for my peace of mind.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Given they ran about the same weight (?), it just reemphasizes that no two hunks of meat behave the same.  Thus the mantra "always cook to temperature".  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think if you cooked them both to the same temperature 197 F (#1 pulled at 215 F is over-cooked), your assessment may have been reversed.
    Options
    Nola,  perhaps.  #1 went (accidentally) to 215 in 9.5 hours.  You're right - overcooked.  But, forgot to set the audible alarm on my Maverick, so I slept right through the 200 degree point on that brisket. My mistake - not one I will repeat. 

#2 was much more under control.  As you mention, what would have been interesting is if the alarm had gotten me up to pull #1 off at 200 degrees.  Perhaps an hour or so earlier. 

Onward!!
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Indeed.  It's a learning experience. Reason I put forth the theory is because many of the brisket eggsperts report they're juicier when cooked at hotter temps to the same internal temp.
    :D