Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What am I doing wrong with temperatures

BigBobBBQ
BigBobBBQ Posts: 8
edited September 2012 in Beef
In the last few months I have struggled with getting my large egg much over 350 degrees for steaks.  I am using natural charcoal.  I am using two wax lighting squares.  I have the bottom opening about at 1 inch.  I have the main top vent at 1/2 inch and the round circle set so all the openings are open.  What am I missing?

Comments

• BigBobBBQ said:
    .  What am I missing?
    Air flow...you need more of it.   Open that thing up!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    For searing you don't even need the daisy wheel on top.  Take it off.  Open the bottom damper up all the way.  When you get up to the temp you want, you can damp it back. 

If you're not getting there with everything open, you're probably not getting enough airflow through the grate and lump.  That means it's time to clean it - too much ash or tiny lump/dust clogging up the system.

Don't know your desired steak cooking method-below link will offer a few, but the whole deal with the BGE is fuel and (as mentioned above) air-flow.  So, should you decide you want to go the sear route-do it with the dome open and a serious fire with your lump-then to finish, shut the dome and dial in around 400*F on the dome.  Please do NOT shut all vents and let the temp drop-this "dwell" technique will turn any well-meaning cook down a dirt road.  FWIW-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#beef  Enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Great advice from others, and like nola said, maybe its time to remove some ash.