Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

has anyone tried the Pitmaster IQ 110

Options
Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
thinking about getting a Pitmaster IQ 110... Naked Wiz had a review and it seemed to be a good enough unit and not all that expensive.   Any one have one?
 If so what has been your experience 
thanks
gp

Comments

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options

I know a guy who uses one and is happy with it. 

I just bought a partyQ - same price range .. if you don't mind the battery set up (I actually wanted that) - I found it worked really well on an overnight at 245 on an XL.

• xraypat23
    Options
    I have one, and I swear by it! Great tool for the price. Personally I don't like the idea of having a fan hanging off of the lower air vent. You can build a weatherproof box for the Ique. 
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I believe the iQ to be pretty good.  A friend at work got one about 2 months back and he swears by it. If it rains you're screwed.  A plastic bag wont work as it has the fan built on to it.  Any attempt at waterproof bagging this thing will block the air flow. If you cook under a covered patio I suppose you would be fine.  I'm sure somebody would be able to make some kind of cover.  The price is very reasonable compared to everything else I have seen.
  • Tennisbum
    Options
    Thanks for your responses.. 
    gp 
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    Bought it a few months ago after a fair amount of research, hemming and hawing, and figuring out exactly what I needed. Have used it about 5 times for low and slows, and one at 350 just to see how it works at that temp. It is fairly simple and foolproof for my Large. Would recommend it
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I have an iq110, and love it.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Seems to be the most basic and idiot proof of all the pit controllers. It was on my list when i was shopping for one. Naked Whiz has a review for it on his website. The only thing I didn't like was the dial, I'd rather have a digital readout.

Just remembered, Alton Brown used one (on a Weber) on one of his good eats episodes.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Slobberdog
    Options
    I bought one a year or so ago after reading the Naked Whiz reviews and after losing fire on two overnight cooks. The unit works as advertised. I use for overnights and daytime cooks allowing me to leave the house if I need to. It works great for my purposes. My only minor complaint is that the alligator clip on the temp probe is undersized. It is barely large enough to clip to my stock grid. Easy fix I suppose but still a pain.
  • davejames0426
    Options
    texbagger said:
    I believe the iQ to be pretty good.  A friend at work got one about 2 months back and he swears by it. If it rains you're screwed.  A plastic bag wont work as it has the fan built on to it.  Any attempt at waterproof bagging this thing will block the air flow. If you cook under a covered patio I suppose you would be fine.  I'm sure somebody would be able to make some kind of cover.  The price is very reasonable compared to everything else I have seen.
    I have had mine for about a year now with many overnight cooks and it has worked great. You can waterproof by cutting the bottom out of a 2 litre plastic drink bottle. Cut a small slit in the cap end of the bottle to slide the 110 hanger through, then I cover this slit with some putty. It has worked great for me in the times of rain or chance of rain on an overnighter.
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    edited September 2012
    Options
    <<<<<davejames, right on! Easy and effective! I like the way you think!  Screw it, I'm getting one!

• xraypat23
    Options
    tex, you won't be sorry!