Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kielbasi on the BGE

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited June 2012 in Pork
Smoked some kielbasi on the egg this weekend.  Turned out just like the kind I grew up with years ago in NE Pennsylvania coal region.  

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Options
    The end product
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Nice! I would have to cover it in krout and sautéed peppers / onions. Add beer and it's chow time!
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Looks awesome care to share your recipe for it would love to make some 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Make your own Kolbassi. Impressive! 

*misses Pittsburgh right now...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • teddyg
    teddyg Posts: 4
    Options
    I would also appreciate the recipe. Did you smoke the kielbasa? Thanx.
  • Tjcoley
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in responding - here's the recipe:

Options
    OK, Let's try that cut and paste again:

Kielbasi Recipe

• ¥ 5 lbs boned pork butt, 80% lean

• ¥ 8 cloves crushed fresh garlic 

• ¥ 2 tablespoons Kosher salt

• ¥ 1 tablespoon fine ground black pepper

• ¥ 1 tablespoon brown sugar

• ¥ 1 level teaspoon Prague Powder #1 or Instacure #1

• ¥ 1 cup ice water

1. 1. Trim the pork and beef, cut it into 1 inch cubes, and grind it through the medium plate of your meat grinder.

1. 2. Combine the spices and cure in a small container and mix with the 1 cup of ice water.

1. 3. Pour the spice, cure, and water combination into the ground meat and mix thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure even distribution.

1. 4. Once the sausage is fully mixed, stuff it immediately into large sized (35-38mm) natural hog casing.

1. 5. Prepare the sausage for the smoker and then smoke until you have the desired depth of color and temperature.

1. 6. Smoker temp at 165 - 170 degrees, pull when internal temp reaches 152 degrees.  100% Cherry wood smoke.  

1. 7. After pulling off smoker, immerse in ice water to stop the cooking process. 

1. 8. Hang and let dry for 2 – 3 hours (Blooming)

1. 9. For a richer mahogany color, add 1 tablespoon Vitamin C to mix   

Options
    Thanks can't wait to try it one question you said 5 pounds pork but say grind pork and beef how much beef didn't see it 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    I used all pork, as this is what the butcher I've been getting kielbasi from for over 40 years always used. Old family recipe called for 4 pounds pork, 1 pound beef.  Sorry I didn't edit that out. My original family recipe also used saltpeter in place of Prague powder.  I've also seen recipes with pork, beef and veal.  I always felt Polska Kielbasi should be 100% pork.  
    Options
    I also recently found my Uncle Tony's recipe for kielbasi from around 50 years ago.  As I kid I remember him hanging the sausage on the back porch for 3 days prior to smoking it, and whenever he made it, we ended up eating kielbasi flavored ice cream for weeks, as everything in the freezer and fridge picked up the flavor.  I'll be trying this (and sticking to the exact recipe except for the saltpeter - I'll use Prague powder) sometime soon:

1/2 pound veal

1/2 pound beef

1 pound pork

1/2 pound pork fat, diced

15 white peppercorns, crushed

15 black peppercorns, crushed

2 tablespoons salt

4 cloves garlic, mashed

1 teaspoon saltpeter

1/2 pint water

3 yards sausage casings

Grind beef and veal in meat grinder.  Combine ground mixture with pork and pork fat.  Add peppercorns, salt, garlic, saltpeter and water.  Mix for 15 minutes using a large spoon.  Clean and dry casings, using salted hands.  With a sausage stuffer, stuff casings with meat mixture and tie off. Set aside in a cold place for 3 days, turning each day. Hang for 5 hours in meat smoker.  Boil and serve.

Options
    that explains thought i missed part of it . Thanks again and thanks for the second one as well 
  • SamFerrise
    Options

The following recipe is from my wife's Polish aunt.  I have been making it for over 30 years.  Near the east side of Detroit there is a small city called Hamtramck, home of Kowalski Sausage.  It was one of the better places to get real homemade style polish sausages, smoked, fresh, liver.  I grind my meat using a 3/8" die for a coarse ground meat which makes a juicier sausage.  Mix all ingredients with the shaved ice first then add to meat and mix.  Let the mixture marinate for about 6 hours before filling the casings.  Our cellar in the basement was like a meat locker in the fall and winter.  We would hang our sausages in the cellar for at least 2-3 days before vacuum sealing and putting in the freezer.  I started using the collagen casings and they work out better than I expected.  They are great when you want to make sausage spur of the moment.  Prepping natural casings takes time.  My mother would rinse the casings well and then turn them inside out.  There is a trick to it and it is much easier than you may think.  Keep your casings in luke warm water when stuffing and don't worry about drying them off.  That makes no sense to me at all.  One pound of hog casings will do about 100 lbs of sausage.  

Fresh Kielbasa:

9.0 lbs. boneless pork shoulder or butt
    1.0 lb. veal
    4.8 oz. shaved ice
    1.6 oz. dextrose
    0.5 oz. white pepper
    0.3 oz. mustard seed
    0.2 oz. marjoram (leaf)
    0.1 oz. granulated garlic
    0.2 oz. monosodium glutamate
    0.2 oz. nutmeg
    3.6 oz. salt

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Thanks Sam.  Do you not use any curing salts?
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nicely done. I've been meaning to make some sausages lately, but have been busy.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SamFerrise
    Options
    That recipe if for fresh kielbasa for cooking or smoking, not curing.

• SamFerrise
    Options
    The crap in the curing salt and fermenting agents are the things that your doctor will tell you to avoid.  I only make fresh sausage and that is bad enough for the cholesterol.

• GreenEggAndMan
    Options
    Those look great, I'm going to have to get this attachment for my wife's kitchenAid mixer.