Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt at Katz's Pastrami with light pr0n

Options
North_Is_Up
North_Is_Up Posts: 137
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to try something different for the long weekend and found this recipe at Amazing Ribs.

I grew up eating Katz's sammies and hot dogs as a kid and young adult and I wanted to see if that taste could really be duplicated. I'm pleased to report that this is the real thing.

Starting point (no pun intended) was a flat from Costco.

Then, took it out and washed it off. 

Here's what the fat cap looked like out of the package. I figured the butchers knew a lot more than me and left it intact. Must be the right thickness.

Then, I soaked it in water for 24 hours in a 2 1/2 gallon food service plastic bag in the fridge. I changed the water three times during that period to take out some of the salt from the corning process. At the 24 hour point, I patted it dry and put on the rub. After two days with the rub in the fridge, I put it on the XL for about 5 hours at 275 and then bumped it up to 300 for several hours to get it up to 195 IT.

Then, rested it for about 15 minutes and came up with these slices. It had that telltale pinkish-red color that the corning process provides.

The next step is to put the pastrami in the fridge overnight and steam it to 200 degrees to warm it back up. That's the plan. Another part of the plan is to have pastrami and eggs in the morning. Hey, I hope there's enough left over to steam.

I used a CyberQ Wifi to control temps. I live at 6000'+ so it takes a while for a 3 1/2 pounder to smoke to 195 IT. 

From what I tasted, it's so exactly like Katz's that I'm planning to watch "When Harry Met Sally" on Netflix.

Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
Northern CA

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Sounds and looks great. Nothing better than good pastrami.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    looks great added to my to do list 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • MO_Eggin
    Options
    Very nice.  I completed my first attempt of this last night.  

I started with a small 3# flat, corned the beef myself by following the recipe / instructions linked in the recipe North is Up linked to above.  I brined the beef for 9 days in a 2 gallon ziplock in a very large bowl; then soaked overnight changing the water 3 or 4 times; rubbed and left in fridge for 2 days.   Smoked on the egg at about 250 with apple & pecan until internal hit 195, then rested 1.5 hours, then wrapped and put in fridge.  Next day steamed the meat until internal of about 160 (recipe calls for 200, but ran out of time).  Sliced for sammies on home made sourdough bread (also egged).

Results were very tasty, but a bit on the salty side (even for pastrami).  Next time I'd let the meat soak longer and change out the water out more often.  

Pics (hopefully).

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • North_Is_Up
    Options
    I thought that it was salty at first off the egg, but I think the steaming process the next day fixed it a bit. The water was quite salty after steaming. I agree that it needs to be soaked a bit more before applying the rub. Even made your own bread. Beautiful pr0n. 

This was one of my favorite cooks so far in my 4-month Egg life. Wish I made two while I was at it. 

Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • MO_Eggin
    Options
    I didn't try it straight off the egg, so not sure if there was a change in saltiness after smoking.  Completely agree on your final thoughts - also a favorite cook and the added work to do a second hunk of meat is close to nil.
  • MO_Eggin
    Options
    Sorry, that should have been change in saltiness after steaming, not smoking.