Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I like big butts (and picnics)...

Black_Badger
Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just dropped in to the local butcher shop and they had a 14.5 pounder that I couldn't resist. This is the largest bone in shoulder I'll have tried thus far, but I have high hopes for it. Going to pack the fire box to the top and put the drip pan on the standard grate, above the pizza stone on my adjustable rig, then loft the shoulder up into the dome. Got a nice coat of rub on now and the beast is chilling out in the fridge. I'll hit it with one more good coat of rub before it goes on tonight and this time I'm going to try periodic apple juice spritzes come the morning. Wish me luck folks, the last few cooks have been trying, but yielded good results. Hope this one will be smoother.

Cheers all -

B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Sounds great. What rub are you using? Post pics so we can see the results.
  • Will do.

I do a light base coat of John Henry's Mojave Garlic Pepper, then a heavy first coat of John Henry's Texas Pig rub. The final coat will be John Henry's Sugar Maple. The sugar maple has a ton of sweetness and gives an incredible bark. In fact I'm going to try to dial back the bark just a bit this time by keeping a tighter rein on the temp.

Little worried that I used the end of a bag of lump and it was mostly small pieces. I went out to grab a back up bag and it's chock full of nice big pieces. Got the chimney going now and well see what the fire looks like in half hour or so and may still decide to pull the plug, let it all cool down and start over with bigger pieces.

Cheers all -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Cook went great this time, couldn't be happier. No fire problems through the night, but the temp did creep up on me over time. When I woke up this morning the temp had crept up to about 310. I did my first apple juice sprizt and saw the meat had pulled back from the bone quite a bit. Took a temp reading and it was at 205! Hotter than I'd have ever expected for just 11 hours given that the beast was 14.5 #s. Might be a tiny bit over cooked, but it's not mushy, so that's a win. Gave it a half hour rest then pulled the whole thing. Hit it with some apple juice/cider vinegar and a dash of the sugar maple rub and it tastes great. I might hit it with some franks or something to give it a little heat.

All in all very happy with this cook, my best one yet and it'll only get better from here.

Cheers all -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Thanks all, it has been a good cook. I have noticed the predictable surface area to volume ratio complication I thought might come up (not as much bark as I'd like), but the taste is spot on.

Question about how you guys reheat, because I have LOTS of leftovers. I've been heating some sauce in a heavy pan then adding the pork after I turn of the heat. I sprinkle on a little rub right at the end. Turns out nice, but it only really works for small batches. I don't want this nice pork to dry out during reheating. Any other ideas?

Cheers all -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    @Black_Badger

To reheat I portioned out healthy sized sandwich portions in freezer bags, then I reheat in the microwave (at work is the best because it drives everyone nuts). I have also grilled up the pork and used it as carnitas in tacos and burritos.

I have two butts on the EGG now that when on at 9:00p last night and is at about 195 right now.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.