Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LGE BGE Rib capacity

thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,352
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm an XL and Mini owner, but had a friend with a Lge looking for max capacity for ribs on it.   We discussed using a rib rack and stacking in, on, and around.  She's looking at doing 4 racks split in half.  For you math majors, that's 8 half slabs.  That should be pretty easy to fit on, right?  Any ideas out there on how that might tweak the ribbing time?  Many thanks to all who've chosen the Forum over the 'Bama/Mich and Texas/Wyoming blowouts!
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• If it works post pics!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I think it depends on how the egg is set up and the cut of ribs.  I use spare ribs and 2 racks cut in half fills it a lot. I do use a rib rack. I could possibly fit one more rack but the meat would almost be cooking direct due to design of the plate-setter.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2012
    imageI can do 4 racks with no problem turbo style.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • I've done 5 full racks on a large using a rib rack, no need to cut in half.
  • I can do 6-8 full racks laying down using my adj rig/sliding system with extender.
  • I tried 3 racks tonight and struggled. I had 2 racks of baby backs and a slab of spareribs. What do lost of you recommend for the money: BGE Tiered 3-level system or CGS Adjustable Rig?
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Mayberry said:
    I tried 3 racks tonight and struggled. I had 2 racks of baby backs and a slab of spareribs. What do lost of you recommend for the money: BGE Tiered 3-level system or CGS Adjustable Rig?
    I have no experience with the CGS rig but I can tell you NOT to waste your $$ on the BGE  3-Tier.  The design (center pole) makes it very restrictive at least for me.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    pswarren said:
    I've done 5 full racks on a large using a rib rack, no need to cut in half.
    Can you post a pic of that?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I just put 6 racks of baby backs on using my new PSWOO3 along with the plate setter, rib rack and the SS drip pan. This is my first try at more then 3 racks and I am figuring I will have to re-arrange at some point to get them to cook even. I am also allowing some extra time. I plan to pull them off then sauce them for the last hour after the guests arrive.
  • I did 4 racks with a single grate, a rib rack, and not an ounce of creativity.  I don't think it's an exageration to think you could do 10-12 racks in a large with a little planning and creativity. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I just pulled the last rack off after 5 hours. They are wrapped in foil and I will sauce them and throw them back on when the company arrives. All in all they took about the same amount of time as my three rack cooks even though it took over an hour to get back up to 250 using the DIGIQ when I first put them on.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    With a 6 slot rib rack, you can easily fit 3 full racks cut in half.  That doesn't leave a whole lot of room on the ends, but in front of and behind the rack you could easily fit another rack cut into halves, and as someone above demonstrated, you could drape another full rack over the top...so 5 racks should be no problem...though you have to kind of dig to get to some of them.  6 might fit.  Beyond that, I think you're going to need multiple levels or more creative hardware.
  • We did 3 racks from Costco a few weeks ago. We used the rib rack we had from our old grill (not the V rack) We only had to cut one rack in half to make them fit. The 2 racks in the center fit just fine.
  • I cooked 3 baby backs from Costco yesterday on my LBGE.   I used a rib rack and left the racks whole.  Still had room for a fattie and some ABTs.  So it seems your friend should be able to fit a fourth full rack on the rib rack no problem.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot