Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

17 lb. Pork Shoulder How Long do you think?

Neptunes
Neptunes Posts: 17
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Never did one this size. Definitely want to do it low and slow. About 225 or so. Allowing for a couple hrs. FTC,how long would you think?
Oh,and it is boneless if thay will make a difference.
                                                                                                                                        Thanks.
It's no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk.

Comments

• jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Holy Neptune Batman - PIGZILLA!!!!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    That is huge. Are you sure it isn't 2 butts in a cryovac pack that makes it look like one? As for cook time, I don't cook at that low of a temp as I believe there is no benefit and you run a greater risk of the fire going out while you sleep but believe it could be as long as 2 hrs/lb at that temp.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Holy smokes, that is a huge pork shoulder, wouldn't be surprised to see it as 2 in a cryovac pack.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Holy smokes, that is a huge pork shoulder, wouldn't be surprised to see it as 2 in a cryovac pack.
    I agree. I have bought them at Costco around that size but they come exactly as you said. I usually freeze one for later unless cooking for a crowd. Otherwise, dem piggies been working out.
  • Neptunes
    Neptunes Posts: 17
    I can't see a divide through the cryovac but looks can be deceiving. Perhaps it would be best to cut it in half if it is one piece?
    It's no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I would cut it in half.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Neptunes said:
    I can't see a divide through the cryovac but looks can be deceiving. Perhaps it would be best to cut it in half if it is one piece?
    Go ahead. The two parts will still be large enough to not dry out. Plus, more surface area equals more bark.
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Make some butterfly pork chops out of some and cook the rest indirect at 350 to keep it from drying out internal of 160 ish............or brine it, but that thread is best handled by someone other than myself.
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Whoa, so early I thought you said LOIN.  Low and slow on that massive beast.  More coffee....
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If it is one piece it's going to be a whole shoulder. Your cook time will be a lot less than a butt as the length exceeds the diameter.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    if it's a whole shoulder, you better have an XL!  and if it is, i'd expect a cook time of about 12-15hrs at 250. If it's a cryo pack that says 17lbs, you most likely have 2 7-9 pounders in there....which, will cook in pretty much the exact same time