Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt on the Mini

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

For my fantasy football draft, I cooked a 5 lb butt on the Mini for some pulled pork.

I needed to put some silicone bands on it to squeeze it in a little but it fit (barely):

The dome temp had to be pulled out some to prevent it from skewering the pork:

Not much room to spare (but easy to take internal temp readings):

I forgot to take a pic of the pork pulled until after it had been sitting in a chafer for the entire draft so this is it but not at its best:

I used Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump filled just over midway up the fire ring and completed the cook with lump to spare.

It was a fun test.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Awesome looking butt!  I'm looking forward to doing one on my new small.
    Flint, Michigan
  • R2Egg2Q
    Thanks!  The Small is a great cooker for a butt.  Enjoy.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice work what was the dome temp. Good looking bark on there.
    Seattle, WA
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Nice work.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Great cook. Another reason to get me a mini.
    SkinnyV said:

Nice work what was the dome temp. Good looking bark on there.

Thanks! The one you did on your Mini a couple of weeks ago was an inspiration for this cook. This one was cooked at 240-250 for about 75 mins and then around 300 for the next 4 hrs.

Bay Area, CA
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Nice work.  Wall to wall pork.  Does it get any better?
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Vitaman
    Vitaman Posts: 46

Wow, looks fantastic.  What kind of grate is that?  Raised?  Mini woo?

Jeff

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Did you need to add any charcoal? I would think cooking for 6 hours would stretch the mini.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Thanks for posting.  it is amazing what you can do with the mini.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • R2Egg2Q
    Vitaman said:

Wow, looks fantastic.  What kind of grate is that?  Raised?  Mini woo?

Jeff

Thx! That is the Mini Woo and 10" stainless grid from the Ceramic Grill Store: http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/categories/Small-&-Mini-Big-Green-Egg®-Set%252dUps/Mini-10-Woo-Ring/ On the Woo is a foil wrapped pizza stone.

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited August 2012
    jlsm said:
    Did you need to add any charcoal? I would think cooking for 6 hours would stretch the mini.

I didn't need to add any lump. Wicked Good lump is really dense and burns pretty long and I had it filled high into the fire ring. I think it could have gone another hour at 300.

Bay Area, CA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    that's a new cook for me......very nice.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Sorry that I missed the lump reference higher up. Cooking a butt on the mini would never have occurred to me. This is great. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • R2Egg2Q
    tjv said:

t
    Thanks Tom! Couldn't have done it without the Woo from you. I'm also enjoying the 10" SS grid I got from you.
    jlsm said:

Sorry that I missed the lump reference higher up. Cooking a butt on the mini would never have occurred to me. This is great. 

No problem! I'd been wanting to see just how much I could fit and cook on one load of lump in the Mini.

Bay Area, CA
  • chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    What did you use and get to keep your probe higher? Also where does one get Wicked Good charcoal? We normally use Royal Oak. Thank you 
  • As I often say, nothing beats big meat in tight spaces.

I love the challenge of trying such cooks. Was thinking I might try a 12lb brisket flat on the MM. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    chill243 said:
    What did you use and get to keep your probe higher? Also where does one get Wicked Good charcoal? We normally use Royal Oak. Thank you 
    Wow, this is a flashback. :)

It is some kind of foam ring that came with my small Egg.  A wine cork would work well.

I’m not sure how Wicked Good is these days.  It used to be great and then got really bad when they changed their supplier and supposedly they switched back.  I haven’t used it years.

Bay Area, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    R2Egg2Q said:
    chill243 said:

It is some kind of foam ring that came with my small Egg.  A wine cork would work well.

I’m not sure how Wicked Good is these days.  It used to be great and then got really bad when they changed their supplier and supposedly they switched back.  I haven’t used it years.
    You're missing out. Awesome stuff. I get mine from the distribution center in Holyoke Mass. A 30 mile drive and $13+ per 20 lbs. Love the stuff! Cooking chicken on it as we speak.

Gotta buy like 30 bags to get that price, but split with others, it works well. I don't know where to buy it retail, but I imagine their website will tell you.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• R2Egg2Q
    As I often say, nothing beats big meat in tight spaces.

I love the challenge of trying such cooks. Was thinking I might try a 12lb brisket flat on the MM. 
    12 lbs is a big flat! I did a near 8 lb flat on my small before:   http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149049/brisket-flat-on-the-small#latest

And a small packer: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142879/packer-brisket-on-a-small-egg#latest

If you do the 12 lb flat please post it!

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q said:
    chill243 said:

You're missing out. Awesome stuff. I get mine from the distribution center in Holyoke Mass. A 30 mile drive and $13+ per 20 lbs. Love the stuff! Cooking chicken on it as we speak.

Gotta buy like 30 bags to get that price, but split with others, it works well. I don't know where to buy it retail, but I imagine their website will tell you.
    If I could find it anywhere near that price I’d try it for sure!  Unfortunately it costs a lot to ship them to the left coast. :(

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q said:

t
    Thanks Tom! Couldn't have done it without the Woo from you. I'm also enjoying the 10" SS grid I got from you.
    No problem! I'd been wanting to see just how much I could fit and cook on one load of lump in the Mini.
    Can you still get the Mini Woo?
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited August 2020
    R2Egg2Q said:

t
    Can you still get the Mini Woo?
    It is no longer listed on the CGS site.  This thread looks like a confirmation that it is no longer available: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1224669/mini-woo-ring

Bay Area, CA
  • Didn’t think so.  Thanks.  :-(