Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recycled Lumber for Large Big Green Egg Table

Options
swbouton
swbouton Posts: 24
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I want to build a great table for my large Big Green Egg.  I am considering using recycled plastic lumber for the job.

Any suggestions?  Ideas?  Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    High heat & plastic generally don't mix and stay structurally sound.  If you can heat shield it well enough, it sounds like a maintenance free table.  How about that for fence stradling?
    Flint, Michigan
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i would think first your table would have a melt down on your first high heat cook second you would watching all your hard work turn into liquid plastic . use real wood or metal and enjoy it for a long time to come 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I consider recycled lumber real wood that's being re-purposed.  The plastic/wood fiber composites like Trex will work fine.  It's been done before a number of times.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/641604/my-new-table
    That was digging one out of the past!  Great information.  Some of us newer Eggheads tend to forget the wheel was invented quite a while ago.  How's the storm?
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Wind speed in the 50s, gusts into the 60s.  Not too bad.  Should be getting worse around 3 - 5 AM. 

Most people don't have generators, they're going to be miserable until, at the earliest, tomorrow evening.  Depending on the condition of the grid when this is all said and done, it may take a while, especially for some remote areas. 

I won't start whining until I run out of adult beverage.  I'm set for a few weeks, so unless the generator fails or something like a tree falls on the house, I'm doing great.   Tomorrow evening, ugh, cleanup, weather permitting.
    Options
    @nolaegghead. I watch the TV and news, and hear of the storm and all the damage that can be done. I just can't image going through that. Hope you come out on the other side, unharmed, safe, and with little clean up. No broken eggs ;) 
    Seriously, just wanted to say, be well, and hopefully you won't be affected. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @smokesniffer - I appreciate it, seriously.  SWMBO is crashed out in the recliner, and I just finished sending an update to my company's corporate office.  We'll be fine.  I can't wait for Isaac to move on.  I'm just hoping the generator keeps running....last time I changed the oil was about a year ago - Mobile One synthetic, and it was crystal clear, but man, it would suck if it failed.
    Options
    Beautifully designed table.  I left a message under the topic link you left.  I am curious about the heat at the table top where it surrounds the egg.

Good luck with Isaac.  You guys are pros now, so I am sure you are stocked up with the necessities and your generator will hang in for you.

I also live in a hurricane magnet area of southeastern North Carolina just outside Wilmington.  I know what it's like. 

Best of luck and thanks for the info on the table.

Steve