Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gluten Free

GreenhawK
GreenhawK Posts: 398
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, we found out that my wife has an intolerance to Gluten.  The more we read about it, the more it all makes sense.  It is going to be a huge adjustment for the whole family since we are all going gluten free.  Good news is that all of the meat I cook on the egg is ok to eat.  The other good news is that we are going to start cooking pizza with gluten free crust, so I get to get a pizza stone.  We are also going to make a stab at making our own bread too.  I may sneak some of that on the egg too.

Anyone else out there that has gone gluten free?  If so any suggestions? I know one thing.  The gluten free alternatives to things that usually have gluten in them are expensive.  I'm not going to like that part.
Large BGE Decatur, AL

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    My sister has celiac disease so I can relate a little bit. I got her a few cook books from amazon.com that she uses often (names forgotten but the reviews will speak for themselves)
    One tip I can give you is it is a great idea to double or triple sift flour for baking to achieve proper texture from gluten free flours.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited August 2012
    I wish I could say completely yes, but we are only "mostly".  We were up until July, but due to some travel and a wedding we've strayed some.  Anyway, during that time the wife lost 40 pounds, and I lost 15, while continuing to enjoy our cooks.  Most important for me is that I went from 126 sugar to 91.  I believe this all had to do with gluten.

We did not work alternatives for bread, but just basically gave it up.  Actually not all that hard for us.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Would like to hear any breads you do! Wife gets all the gluten free flours on amazon. Beer is my biggest problem with Going gluten free!
    Lynnwood WA
  • My wife was diagnosed with celiac this past year. There is some decent gluten free frozen hamburger and hot dog buns that she can eat. It's nice to be able to have everyone enjoy a burger an hot dog. They are a bit pricey, but worth it.
    XL BGE
  • GreenhawK
    Weight loss does seem to be a benefit of it.  Which I do need.  There are a lot of people that say they lost weight without trying to.  So maybe I'm not fat, I'm just storing Gluten.  haha
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    My wife and 2 daughters are gluten and dairy free. It is not easy, and as you mentioned it is $$. Dizzy Pig rubs are all gluten free btw. I'm sorry, I don't have any gf egg ideas for you. If you come up with a decent pizza crust recipe let me know as I would love to try one on the egg. If you haven't found it yet pick up some Maple Grove Farms gf pancake and waffle mix! Happy egging and best of luck going gluten free.
  • GreenhawK
    There are a few Gluten free beers.  I tried one today.  It's not to bad.  It's called "Red Bridge".  That is one of my biggest concerns too.  I really like to go out to eat and drink a few cold beers.  I guess I am going to have to just drink Jack and Coke instead.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • double
    Ye red bridge is okay tastes a bit like drinking alcohol free beer to me though. Apparently it takes 3 weeks to clear gluten from your system. I definately feel a lot better and notice weight loss when I avoid it.
    Lynnwood WA
  • My daughter has intolerance to dairy and gluten. It just started and she is not yet diagnosed but the store bought bread and pastas are killing me. I am very interested in any bread or pasta recipes anyone has.
  • My daughter has intolerance to dairy and gluten. It just started and she is not yet diagnosed but the store bought bread and pastas are killing me. I am very interested in any bread or pasta recipes anyone has.
    What Little Steven said.  I've been thinking about the "gluten free" thing for awhile.  Was never diagnosed as having celiac, but do have some other gastro issues which, at least according to the inner-tubez research, going gluten free might actually help.  And the losing weight thing would just be a bonus!! 

So if anyone has any recipes, web sites, etc to recommend - please, POST AWAY!!!!  [-O<
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    edited August 2012
    I have gone mostly gluten free too, on my own advice. My allergies have improved very much. I imagine they would improve even more if I concentrated on being completely gluten free. I have also lost a little more than 20 pounds since Easter. But, I gave up most sugar at the same time, so that is part of it too.

It is easier for me to go without bread and cereal than to search all over the place for substitutes. I was drinking gluten free beer for a while, but I decided to hell with it and went back to real beer.

So, what do I eat? Mostly meat, eggs, cheese, fish, and poultry. Peanut butter, butter, margarine, mayonnaise, prepared mustard, and salad dressings, oils. Salads, fresh green & yellow vegetables, some fresh fruit, and some dried fruit. I know that some of the dried fruit is not the best for me because of added sugar (e.g., Craisins, dried mangoes). Very small amounts of rice and potatoes.

It is not a horrible diet, but sometimes I sure do want a piece of pie!

Tim
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1210239/#Comment_1210239

See my comment on this discussion. This stuff isn't bad.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Surprisingly Walmart had some great gluten free items on the cheap. They have some great GF noodles there that are usually double anywhere else. Brown rice, Rissoto, Wild rice...A lot of great things are GF!!
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359

It all depends on how GF you need to get. Beware of spices as many have a small amount of gluten added to help them flow or whatever. Similarly other ingredients may contain gluten such as vinegar and some types of glucose and remember some washing up liquid has it in.

Of the various pastas we found a brown rice one that has enough body and buckwheat pasta is good (Orgran). In fact Orgran do na lot of stuff here in the UK that's pretty good but can be pricey.

There's a great flour mix we used to use 4 parts rice flour, one part potato flour, one part Tapioca flour. As for GF bread - it is expensive but in our (son's) experience the Genius stuff is about all that comes close.

Good luck!

• fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    My son is gluten free, has been for about 2.5 years.  Udi's is the best stuff we have found.  Link is below.

www.udisglutenfree.com

• double
    As far as Gluten Free pasta goes trader joes is good. They have various rice pastas and recently introduced a corn one which tastes better IMHO
    Lynnwood WA