Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally the pizza dough recipe I was looking for!

Options
13»

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @booksw How did it go?

Options
    For those interested in the "Blue " bag flour Brick Oven Baker repacks it in smaller (5 lb) bags and they have great customer service !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    It actually did not go that great- don't get me wrong: the food was wonderful and we all had a good time!  I just couldn't get the crust right and I made 3 pizzas in a row and couldn't keep the temp up high long enough so the last one cooked at closer to 400 then 700.  My stone is kind of thin, so maybe that was my problem.  I need more practice with the whole thing...

Sorry it took me a while to get back to everyone on that cook.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • paqman
    edited September 2012
    Options
    @booksw  What was wrong with your crust?

Was it the color?  Texture? Toppings?

To maintain higher temps for longer times, I find that I need to add a lot of charcoal.

Options
    it was the texture of the crust- no rise at all.  My family and friends considered to be excellent thin crust pizza and didn't have the fluffy expectation that I had.  When I mentioned it, one of them said "I have heard that some people buy special flour to make pizza- maybe you should try that"  That got the whole story out of me.  Most people not on forums like this one are not so interested in the nitty gritty details!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • paqman
    Options
    @booksw I was reading your posts and noticed that you mentioned having prepared the dough earlier in the day.  Did you leave it at room temperature all day?   Did the dough raise at all?  The dough will eventually stop raising,  you have to use it while it is still raising.

If I plan on using the dough the same day, I prepare it 1.5-2 hours in advance and let it raise at room temperature.

If I plan on using the dough on a different day, I portion the dough and put in the fridge right away and I put the dough at room temperature 1-2 hours before using it.  I kept dough for up to 8 days.

Options
    Hmmm.  I made it in the bread machine which included about a 2 hour rise.  Then I punched it down and separated it into 4 balls on a cookie sheet which I covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated...  I think it was in the fridge about 3 hours.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • paqman
    Options
    @booksw That sounds ok to me. How much flour did you use to make the 4 balls of dough?

Options
    My wife found Pastorelli Pizza Sauce at Super Target.
    Good stuff.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • peggyc
    peggyc Posts: 54
    Options
    Wow pagman it looks good! I just have bread flour, do you think it willwork¿
  • paqman
    Options
    @peggyc‌ This is an old thread, @Fred19Flintstone‌ will like you :)

Unfortunately, this recipe is not so good with regular flour. 00 flour can withstand higher temperatures than regular flour. I would not bake at a temp higher than 500F when using regular flour. Also 65% hydration is a lot for regular flour, you may have to reduce the water.

If you can get your hands on Antimo Caputo 00 flour, I highly recommend it. It gives a silky texture to the dough and you can stretch it like you won't be able to with regular flour.

Options
    paqman said:
    @peggyc‌ This is an old thread, @Fred19Flintstone‌ will like you :) Unfortunately, this recipe is not so good with regular flour. 00 flour can withstand higher temperatures than regular flour. I would not bake at a temp higher than 500F when using regular flour. Also 65% hydration is a lot for regular flour, you may have to reduce the water. If you can get your hands on Antimo Caputo 00 flour, I highly recommend it. It gives a silky texture to the dough and you can stretch it like you won't be able to with regular flour.
    I 1000% agree with @paqman Using his method was a game changer with my pizzas.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig