Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainy Day Cook - If not a butt, wutt?

Options
SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Isaac is cruising below us in south Florida and as a result there is an 80% chance of rain today (so far it's been raining all morning) and 100% tomorrow. So, we'll spend some of the time under the overhang and do something low and slow. Butt (pun intended) we've done pork butts the past two weekends and while they are our favorite we can't be a one trick pony. Butt (again pun intended) briskets are hard to find around here, maybe Costco will cough one up shortly out of the back room. What other low and slow should we be considering if we can't locate a brisket?

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited August 2012
    Options
    how about a chuck roast or a rump roast with nice marbling , chicken , fresh sausage , or smoked mac and cheese ,nice pork loin  possibilities are endless . could even bake on it . nice thing is the egg doesnt care what the weather is only we do  B-)
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Yeah, bigphil, got a couple chucks in the freezer and right now they're primary backups. Butt, we're talking rain all weekend and so right now plan A is brisket. Heading to Costco to see if they have one ........... ....... .... .
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Settled on a 6.3 lb.brisket flat from Costco, with some of the fat cap still on and some Bad Byron's Butt rub. It's on the Egg now at 250F dome indirect with a plate setter and we'll let it ride until dinner. 

The flats that were out at Costco were trimmed and selling for 5.69/lb. I asked for a whole brisket or whatever they had and the guy said all they had were flats that were untrimmed. So I settled for that and at 3.99 lb. it cost about the same except it's got more fat on it for it's time on the Egg. 

Someday I might be able to load pics on the forum again but not the past few hours. Anyway, now we're ready for Isaac! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @SteveWPBFL-About all I can get are flats (usually at Kroger-mid-west groc chain) that generally have a good fat cap on one side-$3.89 or so/#.  Costco here (Louisville area) does carry packers but can be hit or miss.  That said, my experience with flats at your dome temp will run around 1.8-2 hrs/# so depending on your time zone-it could be a bit late.  Cen-Tex (all things brisket) is now advocating running around 290-300 on the dome for a grid of around 260 or so.  Really reduces the cook time-and associated adult beverage time (the only downer) with great results.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Thanks Lou, I'm going to bump it up!
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited August 2012
    Options
    It's been on four hours and IT is between 188F at the thick part and 205 at the thin part. Dome has been running 280F though it crept up to 305F and was adjusted back down. This is going to be a nightmare.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    It's been on four hours and IT is between 188F at the thick part and 205 at the thin part. Dome has been running 280F though it crept up to 305F and was adjusted back down. This is going to be a nightmare.
    No nightmare-gonna taste great...BTW-you can put some foil around the thin part of the flat to keep it in check while riding out the rest of the cook.  And don't slice til ready to eat and go against the grain.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Thin section foiled, where am I going, 205F IT at the thick part, right?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thin section foiled, where am I going, 205F IT at the thick part, right?
    You are going til you can probe the thick part of the flat and get no resistance in or out-can be anywhere from around 190-205-but it's the feel that determines when there.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    5:45 pm, no resistance to the Thermapen, and IT reading 200-205, she's coming off and we'll pull it apart shortly. Thanks for guiding me in!
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    "Butt (again pun intended) briskets are hard to find around here, maybe Costco will cough one up shortly out of the back room."

Steve, next time you want a brisket try Walmart. They generally always have packers at the 45th St store next to Sams or the Military and Belvedere store.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Hey, thanks, billybon. I've been looking for a source. Bush Bros. has 'em but haven't been able to crack their code yet. 

Also, now I can upload pics. Here's Isaac, which was the reason for the brisket plan in the first place. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    This is the trimmed Costco flat.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Here's the same Costco flat, untrimmed. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    The untrimmed flat.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    On to the Egg........ started at 250F dome and after an hour bumped up to 280F dome.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Done. Started at 12:15 pm and removed from the Egg at 5:45 pm. Dome got to 300F for an hour at the end.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    IT was 205 at the end. It turned out pretty good. About half of it pulled and the other half I just sliced. It was tender and not dry dry but not as moist as the pork shoulders we usually do.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Here it is, we added some BBQ sauce and away we went. Later we crumbled some on top of a garden green salad and with a cold beer that was awesome.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    We killed the 'Isaac weekend' here in south Florida. Spent the time between the Egg and trips to the the attic pulling wires and what not and hooking up some new motion sensor lights on the front of the house. 

Bottom line is it is down-home IMPOSSIBLE to work projects around the house anymore without having something smoking on the Egg. And that's not a complaint! 

Look out Louisianna, Isaac picking up steam and coming your way, going to need more than something to cook on the Egg when it arrives!