Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling Butts Coming soon to Greenville,SC

LizzieSamps
LizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So it is that weekend, that I join 13 other friends for food, drinks, golf, playing cards, debauchery and FOOTBALL! Yup, its my Fantasy Draft! We normally stay here in IN but this year we are traveling to Greenville. I am preparing 2 bone in pork shoulder starting in the moring tomorrow! I am think the game plan will be Put butts on by 11:00 am Pull them off around maybe midnight maybe later Immediately pull, have a midnight snack of course and place into food saver bags Freeze overnight Leave Thursday AM with butts pulled and frozen Ina cooler w/ ice Drive the 8-10 hours and re ice if needed Arrive place in fridge Shop somewhere for Carolina sauce When ready on Saturday reheat in crockpot with water and the bags, once thawed, dump out water and open bags. Add some apple juice and sauce if needed Enjoy! Am I leaving something out, have not travelled with cooked food this far before. I should mention that 9 yrs ago I almost poisoned everyone with a 7- layer salad, so I am a little hesitant! But I will PREVAIL!!

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    You go girl. Can't wait for pictures of this.
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this to you, but your lucky groom hit the wife lotto. Tell him I just cyber high fived him.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Greenville is a great town to have some fun. Sounds like a fun weekend.

I heat sealed pulled pork up in a big pot of boiling water all the time. Works great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Ha ha @Rubmyrock, thanks!! I like to think so!! About to get this show on the go, lighting egg!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Sounds like a great plan-I'm sure you have but check those thermos-and remember even though the butts may be close to the same weight they can finish a few hours apart.  WRT Carolina suace-there is an east and west version so you will have to find both!  No doubt it will be a great time!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I recommend the vinegar based Eastern NC BBQ sauce.  Also, there are a bunch of great restaurants in downtown Greenville, including "Smoke on the Water"  an upscale BBQ restaurant overlooking the Reedy River.

Enjoy your trip to South Cackalacki!
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Sounds like fun. Not sure if they have this in SC, but there is a sauce from NC that is in most of the Grocery stores here called George's. It is a bit of a cross between the east and west NC Carolina sauce and is pretty good. That is what I use when I make pork butts.
  • Alright, thanks for the suggestions! I will try to find those. Here' s what they looked like when they went on about noon! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Temp is at 140 now.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Looking good....
    Was there a reason you didn't tie them?
    Personally I've never cooked that one was not tied
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    LizzieSamps sounds great good luck and try some carolina red sauce with the pork . My daughter loves it on everything even veggies and way easy to make 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Looking good.... Was there a reason you didn't tie them? Personally I've never cooked that one was not tied
    They are bone in no need to tie, or at least I thought!
  • Temp is 187 now! Was gone all afternoon with no worries to temp, love my egg!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Temp is 187 now! Was gone all afternoon with no worries to temp, love my egg!

And I believe you did that without an electronic controller...some get it very quickly; congrats!  Enjoy the road trip-too much fun could be on the horizon:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I was under the impressionn that you tie them to make the piece of meat uniformly round, and cook more evenly. 

Hey, If it works for you, I might try saving myself a step.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tazcrash said:
    I was under the impressionn that you tie them to make the piece of meat uniformly round, and cook more evenly. 

Hey, If it works for you, I might try saving myself a step.

Ooooo,  I seeeee,  I thought we tied only the ones the boneless ones since without tying, they flop all over the place.  I don't think they could have been more rectangular though, it was odd!  They held together really well!  The bark stuck to the v-rack, first time I have used the rack with butts, but it was much easier getting them on and off the egg.  

They are pulled, food saved, and waiting in the fridge now for morning!  So much still to do to be ready for this draft!  Anybody really good at these things?  I always seem to drink to much and then have a terrible team.  We are a keeper league which makes our picks very important!  

• Well,  I don't know if I can define it here!  I might blush!! :\"> ;))  I have woke up several mornings and then had people tell me what happened the night before!  My nickname given to me is " I don't remember that"  I won't share how that all became!  Maybe I will meet some at Eggtoberfest and we can share stories there!
  • Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    edited August 2012
    I live in Greenville and we have some really good BBQ places here. Find a Henry's Smokehouse and go there to buy your sauce. You won't be disappointed!! Another good place is Bucky's BBQ. Enjoy your stay in Greenville.
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Did I hear debauchery at eggtoberfest???  I'm there!!!
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • @mountaindewbass:  Now come on - I have been pretty silly but would not say icky.  My hubby keeps me from doing anything really crazy!!  We had a great time this weekend, everyone was very surprised at how good the pulled pork was!!   

@GatorBGE - my hubby just bought Eggtoberfest tickets today!  Now to figure out where to stay?
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Wife and I were looking at Hilton Garden Inn, not as close as some others, but we have hilton honors points...wish we already had our RV, could stay right there, but, alas....I'm sure others will weigh in.....Where's the PARTY???
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • Oh I so wish I had an RV.  That has been on the wish list for a few years now!  I also would like to rent an RV and have it set up there, but most likely too late for that as well.  I need to get to looking for close hotels, etc.