Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Turkey cook!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Sup everyone, 

My buddy asked if I could make a brisket and a turkey for his kid's party.  I of course was game and happy to get my eggs fired up after an extended egg break. The party starts at 11:30am and they planned to serve at 12:15pm so I needed to leave the house at 11:45am. 

Costco had very small packers (5-11lbs), so I went to HEB and got a very very floppy 15lb Select brisket.  Not the grade I wanted, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference in the end result. Trimmed, then rubbed it with Texas BBQ Grand Champion.  After cleaning and shop vac'ing the LBGE, I added lump and layered in some oak chips. Set up my Stoker and stabilized the egg at 240 grid, then threw on the brisket at 5:30pm yesterday.  I bumped the egg up 10 degrees at 5am as I thought I was behind schedule.  

Estimated that 9:30am would be the start time for the 10 pound young turkey on my small egg.  Seasoned with DP Raging River and glazed with original Bone Suck'n Sauce.  Cooked at 350 and set up raised direct with small woo and stone.

The timing ended up being perfect as the flat hit 195 and was probe tender at 11:35am.  The point was like warm butter. :) I left the turkey cooking while I FTC'd the brisket.  The turkey was at 159 in the breast, so I pulled and FTC'd so I could get on the road.  I ended up leaving the house 5 minutes past schedule.  Fun fun cook!!

10 pound turkey

The flat.  The guests said it was good, but I couldn't tell ya as I didn't try it.  Not a fan!

The point ended up being the best I've made thus far, go figure.  Nom nom :D

3 guests asked me if I could cater the brisket for their upcoming parties.  I honestly don't even know what i'd charge for this or if i'd even want to.  Have any of you done this and if so, what did you charge?
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    It all looks great. How did the brisket turn out? 

I would tell them to buy double of what ever they want cooked. If they want a brisket, they have to buy you a brisket. Then you get free meat and they get cheap catered food. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eggcellant idea!  Quid pro quo
    Options

It all looks great. How did the brisket turn out? 

I would tell them to buy double of what ever they want cooked. If they want a brisket, they have to buy you a brisket. Then you get free meat and they get cheap catered food. 
    That's an idea right there.

The brisket turned out great. None left which is always a good sign. The point pretty much fell off the flat...didn't want to be attached anymore I guess.

• LizzieSamps
    Options
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2012
    Options
    My kid is 41 and gone (but I still have Travis). I will have a kids party if you will bring that. Very nice. One question: you put BSS on before you put the turkey on? What made you think to do that and not worry about it burning?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Boileregger
    Options
    That turkey looks ridiculous. Can you give some more detail on what you did?
  • cazzy
    Options
    Mickey said:

My kid is 41 and gone (but I still have Travis). I will have a kids party if you will bring that. Very nice.
    One question: you put BSS on before you put the turkey on? What made you think to do that and not worry about it burning?

Bone suckin' was put on the last 20-25 minutes. I don't think it could survive then entire cook without burning. No breaking moment here...sorry. ;)
  • cazzy
    Options

That turkey looks ridiculous. Can you give some more detail on what you did?

Didn't prepare, so it was a pretty simple cook. Unwrapped, then washed and slightly trimmed. Patted dry, then generously seasoned with Raging River.

Egg was set up and I used hickory wood chips. Roasted at 350 for about 2 hours and glazed with BSS the last 20-25 minutes of the cook.

Didn't spacth due to space and I also wanted it to return heat better during transport.

It came out pretty good. Juicy throughout!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My kid is 41 and gone (but I still have Travis). I will have a kids party if you will bring that. Very nice. One question: you put BSS on before you put the turkey on? What made you think to do that and not worry about it burning?
    Bone suckin' was put on the last 20-25 minutes. I don't think it could survive then entire cook without burning. No breaking moment here...sorry. ;)

Have done turkey legs like that. Thought you discovered something. Still gook looking meal.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.