Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

King Ranch Chicken

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

What to do with left over Spatch Chicken. Make King Ranch Chicken. And since its Hatch Chilli season I had to make it.

King Ranch Chicken is one of my favorite meals from my Grandmother so I took her recipe and made some changes with extra Hatch Chillis and such.

Did it indirect at 300 for 50MIN and threw the chees on ith about 15MIN to go. I added some pecan chips to give it a little smokey flavor and it turned out to perfection.

Granny would of been proud of this one.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

KR.JPG 346.8K
KR1.JPG 339.3K
KR3.JPG 333.3K
KR2.JPG 317.2K

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I hate you. Give me the recipe. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • TUTTLE871
    Options

I hate you. Give me the recipe. 

Left Over Spatch Chicken

1 Can Cream of Mushroom

1 Can Cream of Chicken

I Can Rotel

Green Chillis (Go to Central Market Now and get the fresh ones)

Tortillas

Cheese

Mix the chicken with the cans (Some People also throw in choppen onion). Layer Tortillas on bottom and then mixture and repeat over and over till mixture runs out. Cover with tortillas and then throw it on at 300 for about 45 indirect. Throw cheese on and let it go for another 15-20. I like to serve with sour cream and salsa on top.

Its a simple but awesome dish.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    Looks Yummy, thanks for sharing!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Dayum that looks great. =D> Ilike the use of pecan
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Wow, very creative! I will have to make a spatch now just to try this lol.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• TUTTLE871
    Options

Everytime I make a spatch chicken,  I have som much left over so Wife and I eat off it for days. Now I am looking for other ideas.

Done: Fajitas, Stir Fry, Salad, Enchaladas.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options

Everytime I make a spatch chicken,  I have som much left over so Wife and I eat off it for days. Now I am looking for other ideas.

Done: Fajitas, Stir Fry, Salad, Enchaladas.

I will spatch a chicken and use it for this dip from Frank's Red Hot. This dip and Maker's makes for a great day watching football.

http://www.franksredhot.com/recipes/franks-redhot-buffalo-chicken-dip-RE1242

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Nice, Tuttle. To me that is some comfort food. We do the same thing. In fact, any time I do chicken, Mrs. G asks me to do extra just to vac seal and freeze the leftovers for casseroles like King Ranch. Never put hatch chiles in it before, but will now. Your recipe seemed very similar to my wife's, so I pulled it up on my blog to compare. Besides the hatch chilis, my wife throws in some onion (which I could do without, don't care for the texture/mouth feel) and some chicken broth (i don't know why) and sometimes she throws in Velvetta with the cheddar cheese. Sometimes it goes on the Egg and sometimes it goes in the box in the kitchen.

I think everybody here should try it if they haven't already (might jsut be a Texas kinda thang) Thanks for sharing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TUTTLE871
    Options

Yep I can do without thee onion (Texture Thang). I Vacu Seal them for Mrs T. as well, she calls them mommy (Even Though we are DINK) meals when I am traveling.

I did add chicken Broth to the bottom layer and it turned out fine. When I added it to the whole dish the tortillas turned out a little mushy.

I think my Grandmother learned the recipe in the 50's when thee Cambell soup craze hit and these sort of dishes were easy to make and could feed a small Army.

I think next will be Chicken and Spaghetti (Another Velveta and Cambell Soup Dish)

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Yup, we do that one as well. And tetrazini.

I did some research into it and was kinda shocked to see that nobody could really find any link between King Ranch Chicken and the actual King Ranch.

And btw, last week, before Mrs. G went outta town, she made me some King Ranch but used some leftover smoked cajun turkey so I would have something to eat. Mighty tasty.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Yep, King Ranch Chicken and Potato Casserole (aka Funeral Potatoes) were always a staple served at any family gathering or church function.  They were always the first dishes to disappear too!  
    If I remember, on the side of a can of Rotels was where I got my recipe for KRC. 
    I have updated both of my recipes and taken out the canned soups to reduced the sodium content. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx