Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket: Wrap or no wrap

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have never wrapped my briskets.  My thought being it negates the bark you strive for.  Is this accurate?  I saw Bobby Flay wrap his brisket.  Does it help cook it faster?  It would probably help keep in some of the moisture.  Any feedback is appreciated.  Thanks.

Comments

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    I have only done one brisket and I wrapped it.    Bark was absolute crap.     I will not wrap the next one I do.  
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    Bobby wrapped for the second half of his cook. After he already got decent bark. I may try his method tomorrow
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Bobby wrapped for the second half of his cook. After he already got decent bark. I may try his method tomorrow

So did I.   Turned my bark to crap
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    What if we do a reverse wrap . Wrap the first half then let in ride uncovered for the second half?
  • Garlic
    Garlic Posts: 40
    Options
    The two briskests that I have cooked turned out great and fantastic, neither one was wrapped in foil until they were completely cooked. Then I did the FTC for a couple of hours until dinner time. I did not trim any fat off before cooking. Did them low and slow 275 dome temp for 24 hrs to cook 15 lb chunk of beef. Don't see the need for foil on the egg.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Rock- Good thought but That won't really help as the foil wrap is only to push it through the stall and make it cook faster. It steams the meat and it does result in crap bark, which is why I never wrap. 

If you do it right, you don't need to wrap. 300 dome (250+ grid) until 195 internal (or probe slides in the flat with little resistance). Wrap after if you want, but it will still wreck your crust in most cases. The last 2 i did had good crust after 6 hour holds but that is the exception, not the rule. 

Here's the way it seems to work best if want to wrap- get it to the stall uncovered (this forms the crust), then wrap until internal is like 180 and climbing. Then unwrap to take it to 195 to firm up the crust.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX