Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Chicken Breasts with White Barbecue Sauce

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

This has been one of those items that has been on my to-do list for I don't know how long. Something about a mayo based white bbq sauce has intrigued me ever since I first heard of it. Since it was a weeknight, I didn't have time to do it the traditional way, slow smoking chicken halves and then dunking them in the sauce before serving. I figured grilling some chicken breasts and basting them with the sauce would at least give me an approximation of what it would taste like, though. Plus it gave me something new to do with boring ole chicken breasts. So on to the pictures.

The chicken breasts got pounded flat and seasoned simply with salt and pepper. Then tossed on to the Egg at 400F with some apple wood chips.

I basically grilled it for 4 minutes, flipped it and basted it and repeated every 4 minutes until it reached 160. I think it took about 15 minutes or so. When they were done, I drizzled some more sauce on top.

Pretty unusual taste, definitely not your normal bbq sauce. There wasn't a hint of sweet to it, but it had a cool, creamy, peppery, vinegary taste to it. A bit of heat on the end, but not too much. I can't wait to try it on some smoked chicken halves. I think it will be even better. Definitely something worth trying, especially if you are looking to break out of your normal routine.

Grilled Chicken Breasts with White Barbecue Sauce

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    More like a remoulade or even ranch dressing than BBQ sauce, but looks/sounds pretty good to me!
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I think I am going to pound my chicken breats now. Seems to make for a more even cook as they are always a bit overcooked when grilled as is. 

Quebec - Canada
  • Griffin
    That's the only way I do them. Uniform thickness = uniform cook.

Rowlett, Texas

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

That looks delicious, and is an interesting recipie.  I will have to try that.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Nice looking cook. I'm getting hungry. ~:>
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Looks great.  I didn't know ya'll people outside of North Alabama knew about white sauce.  You will definitely get hooked.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Griffin
    Looks great.  I didn't know ya'll people outside of North Alabama knew about white sauce.  You will definitely get hooked.

Words leaked out a bit, heard about it way over here in Texas. Next up, I think I'd like to try Black BBQ Sauce....

Rowlett, Texas

• Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    How so you pound the chicken flat and with what?

I create my own version of Alabama White Sauce with Dukes mayonnaise, Red Pepper flakes, cider vinegar, lemon juice, pepper, and the kicker - Red Eye express. .... Trust me, this sauce is incredible..
  • Griffin

I put the chicken on a cutting board, cover it with wax paper and then go to town on it with a meat tenderizer hammer thingees. Great way to get rid of any pent up aggresions.

Your versions sounds tasty.

Rowlett, Texas

• Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    edited August 2012
    Although the word, BBQ, should never be mentioned outside the Great State of Texas, this looks interesting.  Thanks, Grif.  I'm going to try it ... maybe tomorrow.

I'll call it a vinaigrette dressing, or something like that.  
    :))
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Although the word, BBQ, should never be mentioned outside the Great State of Texas, this looks interesting.  Thanks, Grif.  I'm going to try it ... maybe tomorrow.

I'll call it a vinaigrette dressing, or something like that.  
    :))
    Nor Should it be mentioned with the word Mayonnaise  [-X

Croquettes of Yard Bird with Egg White Remoulade :))

We actually have a place in the hood that does their smoked turkey with that on there. It's actually pretty good (and although I love TX BBQ, I love BBQ from all over- even with mayo on it)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Wusses. It is made from mayonnaise and it is good. Especially on freshly smoked chicken pieces.

To the best of my knowledge, the original recipe is just mayonnaise, salt, black pepper, and a little vinegar to thin it.

Tim