Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about pulled beef

Options
Budgeezer
Budgeezer Posts: 669
edited August 2012 in Beef
I plan on doing pulled beef this weekend.  So far I have purchased a couple of chuck roast about 3.5 pounds each.  I plan on doing them indirect with a dome temp of 250 to an internal temp of 205-210.  I was estimating about 1.5 to 2 hours per pound.  I have reviewed Clay's recipe and have not decide it I want to try that or due to this being my first attempt I was thinking about doing it similar to pulled pork.  Any suggestions or tips?
Edina, MN

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I've done both way...I prefer clayQ's method because with beef chuck it is easy to dry it out without the foil braise stage. Here is some from a few weeks ago done with NO foil... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    That looks great, what IT did you cook to?
    Edina, MN

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    210 or even a litte higher.....beef generally has to be take higher than pork to get it pullable....especially with no foil.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

Here's a link to the above mentioned Pulled Beef by Clay Q-FYI-

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I never foil always inject with cedar vinegar and A-1 beef broth and other spices grid temp 250/270 internal to 195/200 never had a dry one even before my egg
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I just made pulled beef 2 days ago  did not use Clay's recipe this time.  I cooked it for 5 hours at 225-250 grid temp until it reached 160 internal and seemed to be in  the stall. I then foiled it with broth and cooked for 2 more hours.  It was about 200 when I took it off.  I think it dried out too much before I foiled it and it wouldn't pull easily. We ended up slicing it and it was great, but it wasn't pulled beef.

Next time I'll use a version of Clay's recipe.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    Options
    FWIW, I injected with Stubs marinade, and foiled. 
    The juices that came out were FANTASTIC. The second one I made, i did not inject, but I put in a pan when I foiled it, and the Au Jus was good, but not like the first time. 
    (Is it ever as good as the first time?) 

+1, on cooking to 205+, make sure that it's pullable.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!